Develop stories of various lengths and containing assorted amounts of detail for each element of your job search:
- Short bullet-point version for your resume. Because a resume needs to attract attention quickly, it’s a good idea to tell each story so that the result comes first, as in the following bullets about a job-seeker’s accomplishment:
- Beat two-month deadline for operationalizing online scheduling, time/attendance, and payroll system by overseeing fast-track implementation from outside vendor.
- Reduced payroll discrepancies 25 percent and time spent scheduling employees and resolving timesheet-related issues by 50 percent.
- Decreased time spent on reports by 25 percent by customizing reports to track labor/benefits allocation.
- Earned vendor’s Certificate for Management’s Commitment for Successful Implementation and Design Contribution to Improve Efficiencies.
Read more about resume storytelling in Chapter 4.
- More detailed paragraph version for your cover letters. In the following example, the same story is told in paragraph form in the job-seeker’s cover letter. Note that a cover letter should not rehash the resume, so even if you are highlighting the same accomplishment in both documents, vary your language and the way you frame the story:
I demonstrated my strong project-management skills when the project team I led exceeded all expectations while implementing an outside vendor’s system for online scheduling, time/attendance, and payroll. Not only did we crush our two-month deadline, but we also reduced payroll discrepancies, slashed in half the time spent scheduling employees and resolving timesheet-related issues, and cut time spent on reports. The icing on the cake was earning the vendor’s Certificate for Management’s Commitment for Successful Implementation and Design Contribution to Improve Efficiencies.
Read more about cover-letter stories in Chapter 5.
More About the Trinity University and Chris Ellertson Trinity University Profile Trinity University is an independent liberal arts and sciences institution noted for its exceptional faculty and commitment to the…
The Importance of Note Taking During Career Fairs Listen attentively in each recruitment interview. Listening skills are an often overlooked part of good communications skills — and listening intently is…