Thus, following is a roundup of examples of individuals with a well-branded digital presence for themselves or their businesses. How were these folks selected? After receiving numerous self-nominations, we selected these individuals because:
- Their Web sites or blogs convey a strong sense of who they are and what they have to offer.
- The site visitor can easily learn about the individual on the opening page of the site or on an “About me” page.
- They have branded themselves in interesting and compelling ways.
- The person seems like someone you’d like to get to know better. Bonus points for having a warmth-projecting photo of himself or herself on the site.
Keep in mind that a well-branded presence should ideally correlate with search-engine optimization (SEO); in other words, an employer or other visitor should be able to easily find the individual on the Web and see many positive mentions of the person beyond his or her own Website or blog. Most of the well-branded folks we list could do a better job of optimizing their digital presence for search engines. We evaluated their SEO based on:
- How many mentions of their name come up in a search.
- Whether a search using keywords related to the person’s profession or personal passion shows the person on the first page of the search results.
- The Google Page Rank of the person’s site or blog (Google’s ranking of the “importance” of the site.)
- Use of the person’s name as the domain name for his or her site or blog.
To learn more about how to add SEO to your branded digital presence, see this part of this chapter.