- Do try at obtain at least one internship during your college years. And do try to get multiple internships.
- Do set specific goals for yourself and each internship. Know what you want to accomplish with each internship.
- Don’t expect all internships to be paid. We wish they all were, but many are not. And do at least consider accepting both paid and nonpaid internships; some of the best internships may not be paid.
- Do expect to be treated professionally. And do act professionally at all times.
- Don’t expect internships to just be handed to you; internships must be earned, as with any job.
- Do utilize your network of family and friends to the fullest to get leads on internships.
- Do try and schedule regular meetings with your internship supervisor.
- Don’t pass up opportunities to have experiences beyond the regular scope of the internship that lead to chances to learn more about the company or industry.
- Do get as much exposure throughout the internship organization as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. And do be open to learning new skills and methodologies.
- Do find a mentor within the organization, whether it’s your internship supervisor or some other manager.
- Do make sure you leave your internship with new skills, a better understanding of your field, and tangible accomplishments.
- Do take advantage of job and career fairs to scout possible internship opportunities.