Informational interviewing is a little known, underutilized, but highly effective job-search technique — hence the Best Kept Networking Secret.
| Through the informational interviewing networking method, job-seekers gain valuable insider knowledge about how to break into and succeed with targeted employers. Forge strong and memorable bonds with your interviewees, who become invested in your career, remember you, and are eager to support your progress. Job and internship offers often result from informational interviews, even though getting offers is not their direct purpose.
Buy this Quick & Quintessential Guide today!
Table of Contents
Preface: The Book I Always Wanted to Write
Chapter 1: Best-Kept Networking Secret? How So?
- Informational interviews Defined
- Potential Results
- Reasons for Conducting Informational Interviews
Chapter 2: How to Plan an Informational Interview
- Identify an Occupation
- Identify People to Interview
- Adjust Your Mindset: Never Ask for a Job
Chapter 3: How to Schedule an Informational Interview
- By Letter or Email: Sample Letter Requesting Informational Interview
- By Phone or in Person
Chapter 4: Now That the Interview Is Scheduled
- Do Your Homework
- Before the Informational Interview
- Dress Appropriately
- Be Prepared to Take Notes
- Bring Your Resume
Chapter 5: 200 Informational-Interview Questions
- General Questions About Your Interviewee’s Career Field
- All About Your Interviewee’s Job
- About Preparing for This Career
- About Your Interviewee’s Career Path
- About the Culture of Your Interviewee’s Company or Organization
- About the Company’s/Organization’s Needs
- About Opportunities for Advancement Within this Company and/or Field
- Seeking Advice if You are a Career Changer
- Seeking General Advice and Networking Referrals from Your Interviewee
Chapter 6: At the Interview
- Share Something About Yourself
- Be a Good Listener
- Consider Asking for a Resume Critique
- Build Your Network
- Always Try to Get Referrals
Chapter 7: After the Interview
- Always Send a Thank You Note
- Record, Analyze, and Evaluate the Information
- Leverage the Interview Later with a Needs-Fulfillment Letter
Chapter 8: Informational Interviewing Especially for College Students
The Last Word: Helpful Hints and Do’s and Don’ts
About the Quick and Quintessential Books Series
Quintessential Careers has launched a new series of Kindle books that enables readers to cut to the chase. The series will cover a wide variety of career-advancement techniques, with a new guide published approximately every week. Get up to speed and succeed in a flash and propel your career, job-search success. You can digest the books in this series in about an hour.
The series does not require a Kindle; by downloading a Kindle app, readers can read the guides on a computer or mobile device, such as a phone or tablet.
See all our Quintessential Careers Press Projects.