Preparing for the Layoff
Checklist for preparing layoffs at your place of employment
As you read the signs — even if in the end they are incorrect — it never hurts to prepare yourself for the worst in case the layoff actually does happen. Much better to prepare than to do what most of us do, which is hide deeply in denial.
A checklist for preparing for a layoff (with details of each on the following pages):
- Document how your position is vital to success of organization
- Contemplate career and job alternatives
- Polish job-search materials
- Ramp-up career networking
- Line up references
- Back-up all personal files from company computer
- Examine finances; prepare contingency budget
- Avoid rumors and office politics as much as possible
- Stay productive and on task
- Talk with your family
Return to the start of the Rebounding After a Layoff Tutorial.
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.