Handling frequently asked interview questions: Money and salary questions
Some typical money and salary questions job-seekers may be asked in a job interview:
- Is money important to you?
- How much money do you need to make to be happy?
- What kind of salary are you looking for?
How job-seekers should answer money questions in the interview:
- Strike a balance. Money’s important, but so are other things, such as job satisfaction and the total compensation package.
- Don’t talk about needs such as student loans or mortgage payments. They are not the employer’s problem, and you should be paid based on what you’re worth, not what you need.
- Delay salary talk as long as possible and try not to give specifics until after an offer is made.
- If you do talk specifics, be sure you know what you’re talking about. Know your competitive market value by using some of our Salary Negotiation and Job Offer Tools and Resources for Job-Seekers.
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Job-Seekers Home Page Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Job-Seekers Site Map
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.
Stay up to date with the latest salary information form LiveCareer’s Salary Calculator!