What kinds of bad habits and inappropriate body language create problems in job interviews?
Unfortunately, there are quite a few that you should avoid:
- Um’s and uh’s
- Speaking too softly
- Fading out at end of response
- Touching face, mouth, scratching head
- Playing with hair, constantly pushing hair away from face
- Smoking (previous to interview)
- Chewing gum
- Twiddling thumbs
- Tapping a pencil or fork
- Nose picking
- Stretching parts of the body
- Cleaning finger nails
- Using slang or profanity
- Calling the interviewer by his or her first name (unless asked)
- Touching things on the interviewer’s desk
- Twirling in chair
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Job-Seekers Home Page
Go to Job Interviewing Tutorial for Job-Seekers Site Map
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.