by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Read: Considering Graduate School? Answer These Five Questions Before You Decide
- Research graduate programs
- Read about The College/Graduate School Admissions Domino Effect
- Review books about graduate school
- Talk to your adviser and favorite professors about graduate school
- Register to take standardized graduate admissions test for your field. Get more information
- Contemplate key people to ask to write letters of recommendation
- Finalize list of graduate programs and request application materials
- Begin to research forms of financial aid and assistance
- Take standardized admissions tests
- Begin drafting personal statement and any essays required of graduate programs
- Check out these tips for writing your application essay
- Complete applications forms
- Request all transcripts be sent to graduate schools
- Ask for letters of recommendation or distribute recommendation forms
- Finalize personal statements and essays tailored to each graduate program after getting feedback on them from your adviser or favorite professor — or other key professionals
- Mail completed applications — only after carefully proofreading all materials
- Follow-up with all graduate programs to make sure your application is complete
- Consider visiting your top graduate school choices
- Discuss acceptance progress with your adviser or favorite professor
- Notify each graduate program that accepted you of your intentions
Have you taken advantage of all our graduate school resources? Find everything you ever wanted to know about locating and attending graduate school — as well as jobs for job-seekers with advanced degrees.
Dr. Randall S. Hansen is founder of Quintessential Careers, one of the oldest and most comprehensive career development sites on the Web, as well CEO of EmpoweringSites.com. He is also founder of MyCollegeSuccessStory.com and EnhanceMyVocabulary.com. He is publisher of Quintessential Careers Press, including the Quintessential Careers electronic newsletter, QuintZine. Dr. Hansen is also a published author, with several books, chapters in books, and hundreds of articles. He’s often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the country. Finally, Dr. Hansen is also an educator, having taught at the college level for more than 15 years. Visit his personal Website or reach him by email at randall(at)quintcareers.com. Check out Dr. Hansen on GooglePlus.