College Application Checklist
Here’s a quick and easy-to-use checklist to make sure you have completed everything you need to for your college applications.
Use this checklist for each college you apply to for admission.
- Request application packet, download from college Website (or apply online), or use Common Application with any supplemental materials required by college.
- Download the number of recommendation forms required and ask teachers and others (coaches, professionals, religious leaders) to complete them.
- Download the guidance counselor recommendation form and ask your guidance counselor to complete it. (For some schools, your guidance counselor can complete the form directly from the college’s Website.)
- Request partial transcripts be sent.
- Request entrance exam scores be sent.
- Draft, edit, rewrite, edit, proofread college essay(s).
- Ask a teacher, parent, or other adult to read/proofread your essay(s).
- Carefully complete application, including final draft of essay(s).
- Make copy of completed application before sending.
- Pay/send application fee with application. (Consider mailing application via certified mail and/or return receipt.)
- Receive word from college that application is complete.
Need help with any of the terms described on this page? If so, find the answers in our High School College-Bound and College Planning Glossary.
Return to the main page of the College Planning Tutorial.
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.