Relocating Away from Home
Moving Away: Tips for Successfully Relocating Away from Home
One of the last big steps of stepping into adulthood is not just leaving the safe confines of the family home, but moving far away from it.
Tips and strategies for relocating:
- Whenever possible, have a person in your network who lives in the area and can help you — whether it’s a place to stay temporarily or simply advice about the best neighborhoods to live in.
- Do as much research as possible online. With so many resources — movers, realtors, apartment guides, etc., there is no reason not to do a lot of groundwork before you move.
- Whenever possible, take at least one visit to your new location before you move, so you can finalize a place to live and arrange all your utilities.
- If you are relocating without a job waiting for you, consider temping when you first move — and start building that new network before you move.
- Some employers pay all or part of relocating expenses, so before you accept a job offer, you might consider asking about it.
- For all sorts of help with relocating, check out these Job-Seeker Relocation Resources.
Have you checked out the rest of the great free career and job-related tutorials offered on Quintessential Careers?
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.