A Quintessential Careers Special 15th Anniversary Report
Top career and job-search experts — our 15 Career Masterminds — offer insight and advice to common job-seeker job-search questions.
Compiled by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
Finding a job is a stressful and time-consuming experience for most job-seekers. Because most folks do not practice job-hunting skills daily nor keep tabs on current job and employment trends, we asked our visitors to provide the job-hunting questions that are most on your minds as you set about looking for a new job.
What follows are the most commonly asked questions for our career experts.
The Career and Job-Search Questions
After soliciting questions from hundreds of job-seekers, we formulated these seven questions for our Career Masterminds:
- What are the most common strategic mistakes you see on job-seeker resumes? Read the responses.
- How does a person continually network and job search even when employed with a demanding, full-time job? Read the responses.
- To what extent is job-hopping still an issue that job-seekers need to address? Read the responses.
- How does the job-hunting and interview process change as you move up from lower level positions to upper management? Read the responses.
- What’s the best advice for a baby boomer who is thinking of changing careers? Read the responses.
- What’s the best advice for a college senior or recent grad that has absolutely no clue what kind of job s/he wants? Read the responses.
- Why do you think so many job-seekers seem not to have caught on to the paradigm shift of reactive job-hunting (tracking down job leads, job boards) to proactive job-hunting (career branding, networking, social media)? Read the responses.
Best Job-Search Tip
We also solicited the one, best piece of advice — the critical nugget of information — that our experts think every job-seeker needs to know, understand, and practice to get a job. Here’s what they said: Expert Job-Hunting Tips.
Our 15 Quintessential Careers Career Masterminds
- Donald Asher of Asher Associates
- Richard Nelson Bolles of JobHuntersBible.com
- Jack Chapman of Lucrative Careers, Inc.
- Deb Dib of Executive Power Brand
- Louise Fletcher of Blue Sky Resumes
- Maureen Crawford Hentz
- Tory Johnson of Women for Hire
- J.T. O’Donnell of CAREEREALISM
- Lindsey Pollak
- Teena Rose of Resume to Referral
- Steven Rothberg of CollegeRecruiter.com
- Miriam Salpeter of Keppie Careers
- Eric Shannon of LatPro, Inc.
- Wendy Terwelp of Opportunity Knocks
- Susan Whitcomb of The Academies
Find more information about each of our 15 Quintessential Careers Career Masterminds.
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.