Offering expert answers and solutions to common job-seeker problems, questions, predicaments. Part I: The first 10 Career Doctor questions and answers.
by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
I have now been involved in writing my career advice column, Ask the Career Doctor Blog, for more than a decade, and in that time I have received thousands of emails from all types of students, job-seekers, and career counselors — from teens struggling with part-time work or choosing a college to older workers fighting age discrimination — and everything and everyone in between!
From all of these email questions seeking advice, I offer you my list of the first 10 of the most common career, college, and job-hunting ailments I get asked about — and my expert cures and remedies.
Finally, as you read these questions and answers, please remember that while I believe I offer the best advice to these questions, you should always seek multiple opinions to your job-hunting problems. . . so, please take my free career advice to heart, then take two aspirins and begin your job-search anew in the morning!
10 Common College, Career, Job Questions Faced by Students, Job-Seekers
- How do I go about changing careers?
- How do I gain the necessary experience employers seek?
- How do I go about finding the ideal career for me?
- How do I find a job online? And why haven’t any employers who posted ads online responded to my emails?
- How do I go about looking for a new job after being fired/terminated/downsized?
- What’s the best resume format for me?
- How can I get more information about ———- career?
- How do I go about getting information about companies? And why is it important to do so?
- Networking seems mostly about using people. How can I network without feeling that way?
- I’m thinking about going to college, but I don’t really know how to start looking for one. Can you help?
If your situation is not one of these first 10 common career and job-hunting problems — please check out all 50 of my Career Doctor’s Cures & Remedies to Quintessentially Perplexing Career and Job-Hunting Ailments.
See a list of all the most common college, career, and job questions asked of the Career Doctor — and Dr. Hansen’s solutions.
Dr. Randall S. Hansen is a nationally recognized career and job-search expert. He is founder of Quintessential Careers, one of the oldest and most comprehensive career development sites on the Web, as well CEO of EmpoweringSites.com. He is also founder of MyCollegeSuccessStory.com and EnhanceMyVocabulary.com. He is publisher of Quintessential Careers Press, including the Quintessential Careers electronic newsletter, QuintZine. Dr. Hansen is also a published author, with several books, chapters in books, and hundreds of articles. He’s often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the country. Finally, Dr. Hansen is also an educator, having taught at the college level for more than 15 years. Visit his personal Website or reach him by email at randall(at)quintcareers.com. Check out Dr. Hansen on GooglePlus.
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of The Quintessential Careers Content Index, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, quizzes, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.