Career and Job-Hunting Blog
Career and job-search news, trends, and scoops for job-seekers, compiled by the staff of Quintessential Careers.
|Career and Job-Hunting Blog Index|
|November 17, 2008|
The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment insurance surges past 500,000, and hits highest levels since 2001.
The U.S. Labor Department announced that initial filings for jobless benefits hit 516,000 for the week ending November 8th — the highest total since the week that ended September 29, 2001. Last year, the number was at 338,000.
Furthermore, the number of people continuing to collect unemployment insurance for one week or more jumped by 65,000 to 3.9 million, 1.3 million higher than the same period last year, and the highest level since January 1983.
|Quintessential Career and Job Resources|
- QuintZine: A Career and Job-Hunting Newsletter
- Q-Tips: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
- Q&A with Career & College Experts
- The Career Doctor Career Advice Column
- College, Career, and Job-Related Articles
- Career and Job-Related Tutorials