Career and Job-Hunting Blog
Career and job-search news, trends, and scoops for job-seekers, compiled by the staff of Quintessential Careers.
|Career and Job-Hunting Blog Index|
|August 21, 2008|
As U.S. heads into Labor Day weekend, initial jobless claims in the U.S. fall for the third straight week.
The Department of Labor reported that initial filings for state jobless benefits decreased by 10,000 to a seasonally adjusted 425,000 in the week ended Aug. 23.
The four-week seasonally adjusted moving average of new jobless claims — a more reliable indicator of the job market — fell 6,000 to 440,250 in the past week. It was the sixth straight week that the number was above 400,000, a level that most experts agree indicates weakness in the job market.
Last year at this time, the figure for the four-week average stood at 324,750.
|Quintessential Career and Job Resources|
Other topical resources for job-seekers:
- QuintZine: A Career and Job-Hunting Newsletter
- Q-Tips: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
- Q&A with Career & College Experts
- The Career Doctor Career Advice Column
- College, Career, and Job-Related Articles
- Career and Job-Related Tutorials