Career and Job-Hunting Blog
Career and job-search news, trends, and scoops for job-seekers, compiled by the staff of Quintessential Careers.
|March 30, 2007|
Communications skills top list of what employers seek of new college grads.
Employers responding to the Job Outlook 2007 Survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) state that both communication skills and honesty/integrity are top factors when looking for potential employees.
Employers also cited strong interpersonal skills, motivation and initiative, the ability to work well with others, and a strong work ethic as key attributes.
Sadly — because grades are not always the best indicator of education or educational achievement — in addition, nearly two-thirds of responding employers said they screen new college graduate job candidates on their grade point average (GPA), with the largest percentage (58%) reporting that they use a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4 point scale) as their cut-off.
|March 9, 2007|
The unemployment rate in the U.S. drops to 4.5 percent, even as the economy slows and jobs are cut.
In the on-going contradiction of employment in the U.S., even as job losses mount in manufacturing and housing, the unemployment rate in February dropped from 4.6 percent in January — mainly, according to experts, because some job-seekers left the active workforce because of bad weather and other conditions.
Meanwhile, employers added the fewest jobs in about two years — adding only 97,000 new jobs to their payrolls in February, with big losses in construction (62,000 jobs) and factories (14,000 jobs).
If you’re struggling to find a job, remember that networking remains the most powerful tool you have to locate a new job. Brush up on the power of networking in this section of Quintessential Careers: The Art of Career and Job-Search Networking.
|The Career and Job-Hunting Blog|
Career Blog Previous Issues:
- February 2007
- January 2007
- December 2006
- November 2006
- October 2006
- September 2006
- August 2006
- July 2006
- June 2006
- May 2006
- April 2006
- March 2006
- February 2006
- January 2006
- December 2005
- November 2005
- October 2005
- September 2005
- August 2005
- July 2005
- June 2005
- May 2005
- April 2005
- March 2005
- February 2005
- January 2005
- December 2004
- November 2004
- October 2004
- September 2004
- August 2004
- July 2004
- June 2004
- May 2004
- April 2004
- March 2004
- February 2004
- January 2004
|Other Career/Job-Hunting Blogs|
- Quintessential Resume & Cover Letter Tips, a blog from our sister site, with new resume and cover letter tips daily. A must-see for any active job-seeker.
- Job Stuff, A Blog for Your Career, from Stephen Harris. Stephen’s blog is a great resource for those job-seekers who find yourselves in transition, searching for guidance and reassurance.
- The Occupational Adventure Blog, from Curt Rosengren, a Passion Catalyst. Curt’s blog is great for finding encouraging ideas (and resources) for moving forward with your career… a career that lights your fire.
- Blue Sky Resumes Blog, from career expert Louise Fletcher, a general career and job-search blog that covers all aspects of the job-hunt.
- Career Transition Discussion, a blog that deals with the issue of mid-career change… for job-seekers 40+.
- LifeWork Design — a conversation about topics related to career counseling and coaching.
And for our entire list of favorites, go here: Career-Related Blogs for Job-Seekers.
|Quintessential Career and Job Resources|
Other topical resources for job-seekers:
- QuintZine: A Career and Job-Hunting Newsletter
- Q-Tips: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
- Q&A with Career & College Experts
- The Career Doctor Career Advice Column
- College, Career, and Job-Related Articles
- Career and Job-Related Tutorials