Career and Job-Hunting Blog
Career and job-search news, trends, and scoops for job-seekers, compiled by the staff of Quintessential Careers.
|June 21, 2006|
More than a third of recruiters have eliminated a job candidate based on an Internet search.
According to a recent study from ExecuNet, 35 percent of executive recruiters who use the Web to research job canddiates eliminated them based on what material was found online — up from 26 percent a year ago.
Additionally, 4 out of 5 candidates expect recruiters to research them online while only about a third of those candidates have never conducted a search on themselves.
|June 15, 2006|
If you’re emailing on company time, you better make sure you know the guidelines.
Nearly a third of all large U.S. companies have fired someone in the last year for violating email rules.
According to a study commissioned by Proofpoint of executives at companies with more than 1,000 employees, more than half of employers have also disciplined workers in the last year for violating company email policies.
Furthermore, 38 percent reported having staff whose job is to monitor and analyze outgoing emails.
|June 5, 2006|
U.S. job growth slows dramatically in May, while unemployment continues to drop.
Employers added just 75,000 new jobs in May, the smallest number in seven months, according to a report issued by the Department of Labor. Furthermore, job gains for March and April turned out to be smaller than previously reported.
In more positive news, the nation’s unemployment rate slipped a notch from 4.7 percent in April to 4.6 percent in May — the lowest the rate has been since July 2001.
Financial firms, healthcare providers, educational services, accountants and bookkeepers, architects and engineers, and computer designers all saw increases in job creation. Manufacturing and retailing saw the biggest job cuts.
Finally, in other bad news for job-seekers and workers, wage growth also slowed.
|June 2, 2006|
New Career Doctor column addresses several career and college issues.
The June 2nd issue of Dr. Randall Hansen’s Career Doctor column deals with these four issues:
- Dealing with pressure to choose a major and a career
- Wanting tips for finding and obtaining fist-ever summer job
- Requesting former and current supervisor to be a reference
- Dealing with aggressive employers seeking past salary information
|The Career and Job-Hunting Blog|
Career Blog Current Issue:
Career Blog Previous Issues:
- May 2006
- April 2006
- March 2006
- February 2006
- January 2006
- December 2005
- November 2005
- October 2005
- September 2005
- August 2005
- July 2005
- June 2005
- May 2005
- April 2005
- March 2005
- February 2005
- January 2005
- December 2004
- November 2004
- October 2004
- September 2004
- August 2004
- July 2004
- June 2004
- May 2004
- April 2004
- March 2004
- February 2004
- January 2004
|Other Career/Job-Hunting Blogs|
- Quintessential Resume & Cover Letter Tips, a blog from our sister site, with new resume and cover letter tips daily. A must-see for any active job-seeker.
- Job Stuff, A Blog for Your Career, from Stephen Harris. Stephen’s blog is a great resource for those job-seekers who find yourselves in transition, searching for guidance and reassurance.
- The Occupational Adventure Blog, from Curt Rosengren, a Passion Catalyst. Curt’s blog is great for finding encouraging ideas (and resources) for moving forward with your career… a career that lights your fire.
- Blue Sky Resumes Blog, from career expert Louise Fletcher, a general career and job-search blog that covers all aspects of the job-hunt.
- Career Transition Discussion, a blog that deals with the issue of mid-career change… for job-seekers 40+.
- LifeWork Design — a conversation about topics related to career counseling and coaching.
And for our entire list of favorites, go here: Career-Related Blogs for Job-Seekers.
|Quintessential Career and Job Resources|
Other topical resources for job-seekers:
- QuintZine: A Career and Job-Hunting Newsletter
- Q-Tips: Quick and Quintessential Career & Job Tips
- Q&A with Career & College Experts
- The Career Doctor Career Advice Column
- College, Career, and Job-Related Articles
- Career and Job-Related Tutorials