Apr 06, 2021 - 03:56 PM
- Read the job ad. Highlight your hard skills.
- Develop stories for each skill using the STAR technique (situation, task, action and result).
- Rehearse your stories, considering how they relate to common interview questions.
- Tell your best stories during the interview.
- Reiterate your skills in a thank you note.
Hard skills are key to landing a job. During the job interview, you have a chance to help them come alive for your interviewer. But first you have to know which hard skills you want to highlight. Focus on the most important ones listed in the job ad.
Next, develop stories for each skill using the STAR technique. Each story should present a situation, explain the task, reveal the action you took and the final result. This helps you structure stories for maximum impact. Make sure to rehearse them, and have your best ones ready to go for the interview.