Feb 20, 2020 - 01:14 PM
Startups can be very difficult to work in for those not well-suited to the distinctive culture and work environment, or the nature of the startup industry. If the majority of the below bullet points describe you, it's best to avoid startups.
- You need constant direction and guidance from peers and supervisors.
- You need to be told what tasks to perform, which ones to prioritize, and especially what needs to get done next.
- You need regular affirmation about your work or place on the team.
- You need a well-structured organizational environment dictated by clear rules, established procedures, and a top-down protocol.
- You tend not to speak unless spoken to.
- You need access to vast amounts of organizational resources just to do your job.
- You don’t resonate with the culture of the particular startup. Organizational culture in startups is usually heavily influenced by company founders and its most senior leaders. If you jell with their ways, you’ll probably fit in with the whole organization.
- You are skilled at manipulating bureaucracies and regard it as equivalent to doing productive work.
- You have a habit of passing the buck (and yes, you know who you are!).
- You tend more to ask for permission than forgiveness.