Jun 21, 2019 - 06:53 PM
The job search is about both finding and being found. By doing familiar things a little differently, you’ll be generating job leads actively and passively. Here are 10 ways to do so:
- Schedule and attend informational interviews.
- Get keyword savvy about your area of expertise, and broaden your job board searching by using related search terms, and seeking out related roles.
- Take an inside out approach: research companies first, determine work situations that would best suit you, and target specific companies.
- Reach out directly to recruiters whenever you have the opportunity.
- Update your LinkedIn profile so that it appears at the top of a search for people with your talent.
- Make use of all that LinkedIn has to offer to find opportunities, such as recruiter contacts, LinkedIn groups, social sharing, and targeted jobs based on your profile and search history.
- Offer to write LinkedIn recommendations for past and present colleagues. Recruiters often contact people who make solid and thoughtful LinkedIn recommendations.
- Do volunteer work -- any kind.
- Lower the stakes as you work your network: ask for information, advice, or referrals, not jobs.
- Have your value statement down cold. In the right situation, that alone can turn a contact into a lead.