Jobs in Prattville, AL
- 50,546 Resumes
- 4,298 Jobs Available
- 35,317 Population
- $64,000 Average Salary
Prattville, Alabama, is home to quite a few artesian wells, which have earned it the moniker “The Fountain City.” It is about 15 miles, or 20 minutes, northwest of Montgomery, and many Prattville residents head to the larger city for work and recreational activities. Oft-photographed Prattville buildings include the Bell House and the Autauga County Courthouse, and the population of the city is about 34,000. Understanding the economic situation in the area helps with finding jobs in Prattville.
The Montgomery, Alabama, area has an unemployment rate a little higher than the United States average. Montgomery’s rate dropped from 5.9 percent in 2014 to 5.6 percent in 2015. Meanwhile, the national rate stands at 5.3 percent. As information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates,the government sector employs the largest category of people in the Montgomery region. The trade, transportation, and utilities sector also employs a substantial number of people, as does the professional and business services sector. The largest occupations in Montgomery are team assemblers, cashiers and retail salespeople. Hand laborers as well as movers of freight, stock and materials also make up a large occupational group. The average weekly wage in the Montgomery area is $772, and the national average is at $1,048.
Your resume is the initial contact that often opens doors during your search for jobs in Prattville. Naturally, you want to make sure it shines and is professional.
1. Order information in reverse chronological order. For example, start with your current or most recent job, and work backward. The same concept applies for education. However, cut off your job history after delving back 15 to 20 years.
2. Limit your resume to one page or two pages. You want to show you can concisely convey information; the only exception to the short resume rule is if you need to submit a curriculum vitae.
3. Are you a student or someone who has little job experience? Try putting your Education section before the Experience section. After you’ve been out of school for 18 months, though, you should start putting Experience first.
4. List your successes from previous jobs in Prattville and other places you have worked. For instance, if you managed a large staff of people—say, 30 people, include that.
5. Outline your accomplishments by using a bulleted list. Begin each bullet with a strong action verb such as “collaborated. ” Avoid limp verbs such as “worked,” and phrases such as “accountable for. ”
Finding jobs in Prattville means blending your education, skills and networking abilities into a winning combination. A few guidelines can help as you hunt for work.
1. Leave no stone unturned in your search for possible job leads. Job banks, the American Job Center and local libraries are great resources. Many also offer workshops and classes.
2. Establish a goal for every week. The goal could be to create an alternative version of your resume for certain types of employers, or it could be to read several professional books in your field.
3. Nourish yourself mentally, emotionally and physically. Job hunting can be stressful, so don’t add to the stress by neglecting other parts of your life. Maintaining a healthy balance is critical.
4. Take part in social media wisely. Post only comments and photos that do not stand to cramp your job search.
5. Take advantage of volunteer work to gain new skills, meet new people and bring your resume up to date. You can list this experience as job experience; job experience absolutely does not need to be paid only and can include internships as well.