Jobs in Poughkeepsie, NY
- 755,838 Resumes
- 7,029 Jobs Available
- 44,640 Population
- $61,000 Average Salary
Poughkeepsie is a city full of thriving arts and entertainment opportunities, busy streets, and the appreciation of the natural world in the midst of the surrounding metropolis. The area offers residents a great combination a peaceful environment and convenient amenities. Despite the obvious charms of calling such a place home, those looking for jobs in Poughkeepsie should first take time to educate themselves on the local job market, the career opportunities available for their skillsets, and the pay they might expect to earn in this area. The following information can serve as an excellent foundation for this knowledge.
Jobs in Poughkeepsie appear to be plenty in number and to cover a wide range of categories, helping people of all educational and experiential backgrounds to find their niche in the local market. The unemployment rate in Poughkeepsie as of October 2015 was estimated to stand at 4.2 percent, which is significantly lower than the current national average of 5.3 percent. The industries most responsible for providing this abundance of jobs are the education and health services, government, trade, transportation and utilities, professional and business services and leisure and hospitality (which decreased in employment opportunities by over 18 percent in the past year) industries. Among these categories, retail salespersons claim the most popular position, followed by cashiers, secretaries and administrative assistants and food prep teams and fast food workers. Due to the high concentration of retail-centered jobs in this area, the weekly annual income for employees in this city ($961) is a bit below the national average weekly pay of $1,048.
Anyone searching for employment should be sure to produce an excellent resume to present to potential employers. Regardless of education and experience, there are certain thing that all good resumes have in common stylistically:
1. List all prior work experience and education included in reverse chronological order so that a potential employer can assess the most relevant information first.
2. Use a bit of color or a unique layout in order to set your resume apart from the rest in the stack.
3. Never lie on a resume. If it is discovered that any of your information is false, it could be grounds for termination from the position further down the road.
4. Always make sure to add contact information so that a potential employer may contact you with any questions, and make sure this information is appropriate and professional.
5. Always check to ensure than grammar and mechanics are correct. On a resume, mistakes in these areas can cause the entire application to be thrown out.
Finding jobs in Poughkeepsie can be a bit stressful, just as it is anywhere else in the United States. Thankfully, by keeping a few key tips in mind while undergoing the application process, anyone can make their job hunt a little less difficult and a little more successful.
1. Being professional when meeting with anyone associated with the application process is a must.
2. Get involved in any job fairs or other similar opportunities to learn more about the local job market and assess your position.
3. Search everywhere. Available positions in small businesses are oftentimes overlooked due to a potential lack of advertisement.
4. Be persistent. Unless met with a concrete refusal, there is still a chance that you could be selected for the position.
5. Make a plan regarding how you approach potential places of employment. Staying organized can prevent a great deal of stress throughout the application process.