Jobs in Port Chester, NY
- 165,854 Resumes
- 49,891 Jobs Available
- 29,522 Population
- $80,000 Average Salary
With a population of 30,000, Port Chester is a small village that is part of the town of Rye. It is just 30 miles away from New York City, which provides its citizens with certain benefits, especially when seeking jobs in Port Chester. Before beginning searching, however, be sure to take the time to research the local job market and average wages. This short guide should serve to begin your research.
The job market in the Port Chester area is difficult to gauge, but it is easy to see that prospects improve as you move closer to New York City. The nearby Duchess County has unemployment rates as low as 4.2 percent and average weekly wages at about $900. The national average for these figures is 5.3 percent and $1,048. The figures for Port Chester are likely to be similar. The largest industries are health care services, government, utilities, business services, and hospitality. Most of these fields are remaining consistent, but the hospitality field has shrunk considerably in the last year. The most common jobs in Port Chester are retail salespersons and administrative assistants.
The resume is one of the most important parts of seeking jobs in Port Chester. Regardless of what your chosen field is, there are certain elements of your resume that should always be the same. Use these tips and suggestions to help start writing.
1. Be unique. There are going to be numerous resumes competing with your own. If you cannot find a way to stick out in the reader’s mind, you have nearly no chance of being hired.
2. Be specific. Every piece of information in your resume should be there for a reason. Do not include generalizations in hopes of meeting employers’ expectations. Analyze what you think those expectations are and work to meet them.
3. Be active. Include plenty of strong action verbs to emphasize the things you have done while working in the past. Employers are looking for hard workers that are active and dedicated to their jobs.
4. Be analytical. Always look over your resume and look for ways to improve it. You should also keep an eye out for typographical errors, wasted or blank spaces, and large, intimidating blocks of text.
5. Be knowledgeable. Readers need to be confident that you are an expert in your field. You should know everything you can about your desired position and communicate this knowledge when writing your resume.
When seeking jobs in Port Chester, the same actions should be taken as any other city. If you have an understanding of the proper steps, you can achieve higher success in your search. Take a look at this short guide to get started.
1. Prepare yourself for a long job hunt. It is becoming typical for the time it takes to be hired to be longer than ever. You may be able to find work immediately, but you should still have a plan for providing for yourself.
2. Do not become discouraged. Searching for work naturally involves rejection. If it seems like you will never find the right job and you become discouraged, you are only hurting your chances. Employers want to hire someone that has a good attitude.
3. Know the field you are trying to break in to. There are many unique qualifications, expectations, and hiring practices that you should be familiar with to maximize your chances of being hired.
4. Have a backup plan. You should accept that there is a chance you will not be able to find the exact kind of work you want. In this situation, know what other jobs are available that will help move you forward in your career.
5. Use online resources and your network. There are numerous tools and connections on the Internet that can seriously benefit your job search. Be sure to supplement your hunt with these resources.