Jobs in Ponca City, OK
- 38,045 Resumes
- 770 Jobs Available
- 24,766 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Named after the American Indian Ponca tribe, Ponca City, Oklahoma sits in the northern part of the state. Within driving distance of both Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Ponca City’s land was divided up by lottery during the pioneer age. People who want jobs in Ponca City shouldn’t rely on the luck of things like a lottery, but should review the information below for the most helpful pointers.
Ponca City’s economy has traditionally been centered around the booming oil and natural gas industry. Nearby Tulsa has been experiencing a lower than average unemployment rate of 3.9 percent, compared to the national average of 5.3 percent. Tulsa area residents are primarily employed in the trade, transportation and utilities fields, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The field of construction has grown considerably in the time between December 2014 and 2015 at 11.6 percent. The trade, transportation and utilities fields in Tulsa also grew at 1.9 percent, however, mining and logging has fallen a bit at 11.9 percent. In Tulsa, the most popular positions are retail salespersons, customer service representatives and cashiers . The average person in the Tulsa area earns $868 per week, which is lower than the national average of $1,048.
Jobs in Ponca City require a strong, complete resume. Is your resume going to help you or hinder you in your job search? Learn about ways to improve your resume.
1. Don’t even consider making up information for your resume. Even if no one notices at this point, it’s something that can possibly hurt you someday in your career.
2. Avoid standard resume templates. Get help with creating your own eye-popping template that may give your resume the edge in helping you get hired for jobs in Ponca City.
3. Think about your objective and customize your resume to reflect your ultimate career and position goals. Each element of your resume should match these goals.
4. Show, don’t tell. Instead of telling about all of your work duties at various jobs, show what you did using strong, concrete language.
5. Put your proudest achievements at the top of your resume, so they don’t get overlooked. Once you have written about your strongest points, continue with the rest of your information at the bottom of your resume.
If you’re a new college graduate and entering the workforce for the first time, or if you’ve had lots of experience and are now looking for a new position in your current field, you still need to work hard to secure jobs in Ponca City. Here are ways to aid you with your job search.
1. Be prepared for job interviews and casual conversations that may happen suddenly with employers. Practice telling people about yourself, your goals and your ideal position.
2. Stay current on your technology skills. With most jobs requiring some sort of technological aptitude, it’s important to stay abreast of new programs and skills in this sector.
3. Attend job fairs and networking events. Find out about career events for jobs in Ponca City by using the local college’s or community library’s career services centers.
4. Consider volunteering in the field you’re striving to start your career in. If you’re close to graduation or recently earned a degree, this should be in the form of an internship. Devoting a few hours a week to volunteer work can help you generate leads.
5. Use the phone. Start cold calling companies and inquiring about open positions that may not be widely advertised. Don’t be afraid of bothering people because this can also show an employer that you’re willing to take initiative.