Jobs in Pomona, CA
- 386,083 Resumes
- 81,133 Jobs Available
- 153,350 Population
- $53,000 Average Salary
Nestled between the Inland Empire and the San Gabriel Valley, Pomona is a city in Los Angeles County known for hosting annual events like the L.A. County Fair and the Classic Car Show. Consequently, it's a city offering a wide range of career opportunities due, in part, to a steady flow of visitors throughout the year. If you're looking for a job in Pomona, you'll want to read on to brush up on the local job market, job prospects and average salaries.
A direct route to Downtown Los Angeles makes Pomona a prime spot for many business, resulting in a fairly stable job market throughout the region. The unemployment rate in Pomona is 7.9 percent, above the U.S. unemployment rate of 5.5 percent. The retail, business, technology, medical and customer service industries produce many of the jobs in the Pomona area. The largest occupations in Pomona are retail salespersons, general office clerks, cashiers, laborers and material movers and food service workers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average weekly wage in the area is $1,201 while the national average is $752.
It's great to be confident that you're a prime candidate for the job you're seeking. Yet the key to connecting with potential employers in Pomona, or any other city in the U. S. , is an effective resume. Regardless of your experience, skills or qualifications, there are some dos and don'ts to keep in mind when preparing your resume.
1. Do Submit Personalized Versions of Your Resume - While the basic structure of your resume can remain the same, the content should be adjusted to highlight the qualifications and skills specific to each employer.
2. Don't Panic If You Have No Practical Experience - If you're fresh out of college, it's alright to draw from relevant coursework and emphasize transferable abilities like computer skills on your resume.
3. Do Get Specific with Accomplishments - Instead of repeating job duties that could apply to anyone, be specific with your accomplishments, as in "increased quarterly profits by approx. 30 percent. "
4. Don't Make It Difficult to Contact You - Make it as easy as possible for a potential employer in Pomona to contact you by including one email address and a single phone number, both of which you should use and check on a regular basis.
5. Do Include a Concise Summary Statement - Busy hiring managers appreciate anything that makes the process of sorting through resumes easier, so include an eye-catching summary statement that briefly summaries your main qualifications while providing an incentive to read further.
There are many job opportunities in Pomona. As is the case with other cities in the United States, however, the job search in Pomona can be made significantly easier by taking the right actions to reach out to potential employers.
1. Visit Potential Employers in Person - Even if you're not meeting with anyone who will make the final hiring decision, it never hurts to make an in-person connection with some of the people you may be working with if you get the job.
2. Follow Up with Hiring Managers - Hiring managers in Pomona get multiple applications and resumes everyday, so don't be afraid to send a quick follow-up email if you don't hear anything within a week or so after your first contact with a potential new employer.
3. Coordinate Your Social Media Pages - Make a good first impression with all of your social media pages by ensuring that you're delivering the same message and tone. Delete or edit any pages that convey a less-than-professional image.
4. Automate When Practical - Save time and automate when it's practical by including your resume with online messages you send to potential employers in Pomona and focus your efforts on networking and generating job leads.
5. Be Persistent - Combine your social media presence with personal connections while also checking job boards frequently and following up on leads. Such persistence will eventually lead you to the right job.