Jobs in Plainfield, NJ
- 89,709 Resumes
- 54,935 Jobs Available
- 50,955 Population
- $79,000 Average Salary
Located 30 miles east of New York City, Plainfield, New Jersey, is in the central part of the state in Union County. With this proximity, the opportunities for jobs abound in the area. Parts of Plainfield are in a zone with tax, infrastructure and other economic incentives for businesses as well. According to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau, the population was listed at 49,808. Take a look at more information regarding the economic outlook and opportunities for jobs in Plainfield.
Within this part of New Jersey including the area reaching into New York City, the economic outlook has improved with the continual decline in the unemployment rate. In the last year alone, it has decreased from 6.5% in the beginning of 2015, to 4.8% by November as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. This ranks below the national average of 5.3%. For areas of employment, trade, transportation and utilities came in as the largest, with professional and business services coming in second place. The largest occupations in Plainfield and Newark/New York are office and administrative services at 16% and sales and related at 10.5%. The average weekly wage for Union County is $1,327, ranking much higher than the national average of $1,048.
Make your resume the perfect calling card when you are searching for jobs in Plainfield. Follow these tips to attract the attention of hiring managers by presenting your skills and talents in the best way possible.
1. Don’t use an objective statement. These are no longer recommended as they tend to be unfocused and many times are not even read by potential employers.
2. Research current industry keywords in your field to communicate pertinent skills and to help you get noticed. Computer programs continue to be used online to filter through resumes.
3. If you held multiple positions with the same employer, list them separately to maintain consistent format and readability. Offer detailed yet focused accomplishments for each job.
4. You can use non-traditional formats outside of standard Microsoft Word templates, but make sure it is still easily readable. Don’t use odd fonts to stand out. These typically appear unprofessional.
5. Don’t list hobbies and interests, but do list non-controversial affiliations and volunteer and civic experiences.
Finding jobs in Plainfield require focused energy, organization and the proper state of mind. Follow these tips to jumpstart your search for jobs in Plainfield.
1. Start out with an entrepreneurial mindset. Don’t be afraid to get contract work while you are searching for that full-time position. It will also provide transitions in your resume to fill any “red flag” gaps.
2. Be patient yet persistent. Your next opportunity could open up tomorrow, but be prepared that it could take some time. Staying positive and taking action brings results.
3. Check your online business profiles and keep them updated, focused and relevant. Find other profiles in your field that you admire and use them as a guide to showcase your talents the best.
4. Balance out your job search ‘clicks’ with real interaction. Shaking hands and positive one-on-one experiences with potential employers at job fairs and the like can really escalate your job search.
5. Be as organized as possible. Whether you have files on your computer or a hand-written list in a notebook, you should keep close track of where you have applied so you can follow up at appropriate intervals.