Jobs in Plainfield Charter Township, MI
- 22,026 Jobs Available
- 32,538 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
Plainfield Charter Township is located in Kent County and forms part of the Grand Rapids metropolitan area. Just as when hunting for employment in any locality, you should arm yourself with information about prospects and average pay in the region. What follows is a preliminary overview of the market for jobs in Plainfield Charter Township.
Proximity ties Plainfield Charter Township’s job market directly to that of nearby Grand Rapids, which has seen respectable growth in several sectors over the preceding year. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports unemployment in Kent County is a comfortable 3.1 percent, well below the national average of 5.3 percent. The top-performing industry in the Grand Rapids area is mining, logging and construction, growing by a healthy 8.2 percent over a 12-month period, followed closely by leisure and hospitality with 7.3 percent growth. Manufacturing, professional and business services and education and health services round out the top five industries for jobs in Plainfield Charter Township. Only the information sector saw a decline, shrinking 1.9 percent. Team assemblers, laborers and freight, stock and material movers and retail salespersons represent the largest occupations in the area. At $879, average weekly wages in Kent County are a bit lower than the national average of $1,048.
It’s important to take time to craft a strong resume that makes an impact on hiring managers and sells you as the right choice for the job. Regardless of your intended position or field, there are a few basic rules to follow. Here are some do’s and don’ts to help create a resume that works.
1. Do toot your own horn. Your job is to sell yourself, so don’t be afraid to be your own cheerleader. Don’t fabricate anything, but prominently demonstrate how you’ve distinguished yourself in your career.
2. Don’t include salary details. This is seen as an amateurish and unprofessional move, and could harm your ability to negotiate a better salary when you’re offered jobs in Plainfield Charter Township.
3. Do give your resume a strong focus. Hiring managers get a lot of applications. Stand out with a resume that jumps right into answering the vital questions of who you are, what you can do and why you should get the job.
4. Don’t include personal details like political or religious affiliation. Also avoid mentioning memberships or awards that may inadvertently reveal such information.
5. Do polish your work. Grammar and spelling are crucial to making a good impression. You don’t want your resume to suggest you may do shoddy work on the job.
Searching for employment may seem like a massive undertaking, but a few good choices can make finding jobs in Plainfield Charter Township much easier. Here are a few tips to help guide you.
1. Use career assessments to bring clarity to your search by identifying your strengths, weaknesses and interests. It’s easier to move forward when you have an understanding of what you want to do and what you bring to the table.
2. Mentally prepare for your job search to take a while. You shouldn’t be pessimistic, but it’s psychologically helpful to acknowledge that looking for jobs in Plainfield Charter Township may take longer than you initially expect. Understanding this reality from the start could help keep you going if your search begins to drag on.
3. Make full use of your networks. Rely on your colleagues, family and friends to help find good prospects. They may have access to valuable information or contacts that could shorten your path to gainful employment.
4. Follow up relentlessly. Unless you’re given a firm refusal, you should commit to checking the status of your application with a prospective employer every few days to a week. Show them your commitment and tenacity.
5. Create a daily or weekly schedule of your job search. Organizing your activities is important to the success of your efforts. It preserves your forward momentum and helps keep you from being overwhelmed by multiple applications.