Jobs in Perth Amboy, NJ
- 755,838 Resumes
- 8,056 Jobs Available
- 52,328 Population
- $79,000 Average Salary
Perth Amboy is a city in Middlesex County, located across the Arthur Kill from New York’s Staten Island. It has a long and intriguing history, from its founding as a Scottish colony to a major producer of terra cotta products to a resort town. As with job hunting in any city, those seeking jobs in Perth Amboy will want to seek information on salaries and prospects in the local job market. The following provides a preliminary overview of jobs in Perth Amboy to help launch your search.
Perth Amboy aggressively courts business to improve and maintain opportunities for residents, and benefits from its next-door neighbor, New York. Unemployment is 4.8 percent, better than the national average of 5.3 percent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the fastest growing industry for jobs in Perth Amboy is mining, logging and construction, which grew by 4.7 percent over a 12-month period. The education and health services sector comes in second with 3.4 percent growth, followed by leisure and hospitality at 3.1 percent. Retail salespersons account for the largest group of workers in the region. Average weekly wages in the area are around $1,601, much higher than the national average of $1,048.
A quality résumé can make you much more competitive. Regardless of your targeted industry or position, there are some characteristics all good résumés have in common. Here are some helpful pointers.
1. Lead with the most important information. Format the entries in your employment history to put the details hiring managers are interested in first. This order is generally preferred – title/position, employer, employer location, employment dates.
2. Don’t be afraid to toot your own horn. Featuring your accomplishments provides concrete examples of your value to a prospective employer. Just offering a basic list of job duties isn’t as effective.
3. Focus your résumé. Employers tend to get a lot of applications, leaving little time to give them all proper consideration. It has been found that many managers only look at a résumé for about six seconds. It’s important for your résumé to make an impact quickly so it can stand out.
4. Don’t lie. Resist the temptation to embellish your background when you’re hunting for jobs in Perth Amboy. Even “little white lies” should be avoided. Assume everything on your résumé will be checked.
5. Proofread your work very carefully. You don’t want to create the impression that you’re lazy, inattentive or unintelligent. Take the extra time to polish your words.
Finding jobs in Perth Amboy can seem an overwhelming task, but it doesn’t have to be. Just as with job searches in any other location, taking the time to plan ahead can take a lot of the difficulty out of the process. Below are five tips to help with your hunt.
1. Stay positive. Your attitude can drive you forward or freeze you in place. Work on the ability to weather rejection and roadblocks in a constructive manner.
2. Schedule your search activities. It doesn’t matter whether you prefer a daily or weekly agenda. Just make sure you maintain an organizational framework. As you apply to more jobs in Perth Amboy, it can get progressively harder to keep things manageable. You can restore your sense of control and confidence by tracking your efforts.
3. Make the most of your network. Engage your colleagues, friends and family to help you in your search. They may surprise you with unknown connections or valuable information you may not have found otherwise.
4. Research prospective employers. Do your homework on companies that catch your interest. Find out about their corporate cultures and values and the challenges their industries face. Finding out all you can could help make you more competitive and allow you to better demonstrate how you can help fulfill a company’s objectives.
5. Discuss your job search with someone every day. Staying accountable is important when engaged in a difficult task. Talking things over also can lower your anxiety and help you with tip #