Jobs in Penfield, NY
- 755,838 Resumes
- 1,236 Jobs Available
- 37,189 Population
- $43,000 Average Salary
Located in Monroe County, Penfield is in the suburbs of Rochester, New York. This community has a population of 36,242, according to the 2010 Census, and its residents benefit from the institutions and corporations in this thriving part of the state. The headquarters of major companies such as Xerox and Bausch & Lomb are in the metropolitan area, as well as large universities and health care centers. Learn more about the job opportunities and economic outlook in Penfield.
The economic outlook of Penfield continues to trend positive with the decreasing unemployment rate. Last year, the Rochester area had a net change of .7 percent recorded from November 2014 to November 2015. It came in at 4.6 percent, lower than the national average of 5.3 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The largest areas of employment are education and health services, followed by trade, transportation and utilities. Office and administrative support positions offer the largest occupational opportunities, followed by sales and related jobs. The average weekly wages in the Rochester area are $901, a little below the national average of $1,048.
Your resume is your “calling card. ” It has to be well polished to be competitive and fully showcase your talents and abilities. Read about these do’s and don’ts to make your resume shine.
1. Do list your jobs in reverse chronological order. This offers the maximum impact for displaying your knowledge, skills and abilities to hiring managers.
2. Don’t use justified text blocks because they can insert odd spaces between words. Make sure your resume is left justified for easy readability. Odd fonts are not recommended either because they more often lead to distraction rather than draw attention.
3. Do think about using a bulleted style for a strong focus. Remember that many online programs scan resumes for industry and job-related keywords—use these too.
4. Don’t include hobbies or other information that is not relevant to your job search. This can be distracting and off-putting to hiring managers. But you can give information about civic and volunteer opportunities, which can be very useful if they are related to your career goals.
5. Do edit and proofread your resume well. Spellcheck is not an all-encompassing program. If you’re still unsure, consult a careful reader to make sure your resume is error free.
Finding jobs in Penfield requires a job-search skill set that encompasses organizational skills, determination and planning. Follow these tips to make your job search easier and more efficient.
1. Networking through all avenues. Utilize online sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook as well as job boards and industry specific job sites. Face to face meetings are still as important as ever too, and attending job fairs and business events in your realm of expertise will increase your exposure to leaders and hiring managers.
2. Get more training. Making sure that you are up to date on the latest skills in your field will make you the most competitive. Online courses or evening classes at colleges or universities can be a convenient choice for many job-seekers.
3. Pump up your interview skills. When you land that one-on-one, it is important to sell yourself with great communication skills, body language, eye contact and more. Also, research your potential employer well via multiple sources including the company website, social media, and annual reports.
4. Utilize all resources of the job banks. These online job search sites can offer many benefits. You can not only search for jobs, you can also post your resume and research expected salary ranges for specific positions.
5. Keep good records. Through good organization, you can keep track of necessary follow-ups. Organization plays an important role in meeting the goals of your desired number of weekly applications, job leads, contacts and more.