Jobs in Pasadena, CA
- 755,838 Resumes
- 21,881 Jobs Available
- 140,881 Population
- $64,000 Average Salary
Tree-lined Pasadena, CA is located within 10 miles of downtown Los Angeles. It is well-known for its Tournament of Roses Parade, Rose Bowl, the University of Southern California (USC), the University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA), California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech), and numerous private schools and academies. Pasadena is close to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center as well as the arts, theatre, media, and entertainment capital of the West Coast (Disney). Temps average between 85 and 90 degrees in summer and 68 to 70 degrees in the winter months. Pasadena is bordered by the San Gabriel Mountains and surrounded by seven cities, broadening the scope of employment opportunities. Pasadena also offers 23 parks, upscale shopping/dining/arts & entertainment, galleries, museums, Rose Bowl Flea Market, and historical venues.If you’re looking for a job in Pasadena, CA you’ll need to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. In general, federal, city, and county governments and retailers routinely hire temporary and seasonal workers. Education/college systems, production, healthcare, and arts and entertainment also generate full-time and part-time employment
Pasadena, CA had a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 5.6 percent. This is down from 7.4 percent in Sep 2014, but still above the national average of 5.2 percent and the 5.9 state average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). The Pasadena, CA area is included in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area and Los Angeles County.Pasadena, CA employment has been concentrated in sales and related, transportation and materials moving, and food preparation and serving related sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Pasadena, CA area were: 1.Retail salesperson2.Office clerks (general)3.Cashiers4.Laborers and freight, stock and materials movers (handlers)5.Food preparations/serving workers (including fast food handlers)The top performing industries in the Pasadena, CA area (per percent of total employment), include:1.Office and administrative support occupations (17.7 percent)2.Sales/ and related occupations (10.4 percent)3.Transportation and material moving occupations (7.2 percent)4.Production (6.5 percent)5.Management and Education, training, and library occupations (5.7 percent)Overall, Pasadena employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in management, office and administrative support, and arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media sectors. Conversely, Pasadena employment sectors of healthcare practitioners and technical, construction and extraction, and installation, maintenance, and repair have employment shares significantly lower than the national averages. The largest area employers in the Pasadena, CA area, in addition to the numerous government and education agencies and offices, include AT&T, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Kaiser Permanente, Northrop Grummon, and Boeing Corp., and Walt Disney. Global retailers such as Kroger, Target, and WalMart, as well as Bank of America and Wells Fargo Bank also offer employment opportunities.
It is essential to submit your resume, or include it with the job application, to get a job interview. A resume is part of the process which 1) serves as a basis for interview, 2) is a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and 3) helps justify the hiring decision. A well-written resume is necessary to ensure an interview. Tips for an effective resume include:
1. Basic Criteria:
• It must be focused
• It must have a neat/clean appearance/format
• Include a keyword summary
• Include a list of your transferrable skills and accomplishments
2. All resumes must include:
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Additional: Qualifications/Keyword Summary, Licenses/Certifications, Affiliations/Memberships, Military, Language Proficiencies, “References Available Upon Request. ”
3. Use an organized format (chronological format: most recent to past/least recent)
4. Do not exaggerate, over-embellish, or lie about the facts.
5. Check for misspelled words, errors, formatting/typos.
6. DO NOT INCLUDE: Height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, sex, race, or social security number, personal photo.
Your Pasadena, CA job search can significantly be made easier by following some basic tips:
• Keep your skills and knowledge of your industry in the particular area (Pasadena) current – Attend skills (re)training, read industry and professional reports and journals, browse online job banks (who is hiring; open positions).
• Network – Linkedin, Facebook, professional and community associations, job-hunt groups, and job fairs in the particular area (Pasadena) provide connections and company and job opportunity information.
• Expand your online presence – Incorporate core keywords that link to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc. Find companies and better jobs, or distribute your resume, on Twitter.
• Utilize ALL job search tools, resources, and methods – Do more than just check job boards. Remember recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates, so keep your network information/resume up to date.
• Be positive. Have a plan. Follow up on leads. Practice interviewing.
• Update your resume and personal/professional reference list.