Jobs in Orchard Park, NY
- 755,838 Resumes
- 5,729 Jobs Available
- 29,545 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Orchard Park is an affluent southern suburb of Buffalo, New York. The community is located in Erie County and is know for hotdogs, outdoor music and the famous Quaker Arts Festival. The community has typically drawn an upper-class resident profile as compared to the rest of the Buffalo metro are, and the median household income is above the national average. If you’re a current job seeker, read on to learn about how to search for jobs in Orchard Park and the surrounding market.
Most of the available jobs in Orchard Park are in retail and food service. The town is home to a nice mix of private food establishments, and it’s recently brought in several popular national chains along state road 240. Retail trade and health services account for a large percentage of the Buffalo area workforce. Additionally, the unemployment rate in this region sits at 4.9 percent, while the rate for America as a nation is 5.3. The average weekly income nationwide is $1,048. The average weekly income in Erie County is $842. However, this figure averages the income of every city in the Buffalo. On this regional scale, most Orchard Park residents earn above-average salaries.
A solid resume is crucial when it comes to finding jobs in Orchard Park. Here’s a quick list of do’s and don’ts:
1. Do condense. Say what you need to say, but don’t go overboard when describing your experiences. Screeners don’t have time to bother with lengthy paragraphs and page-long lists.
2. Don’t exceed two pages. This is a good general rule for all jobseekers unless you’re in an occupation that requires a detailed CV.
3. Do include a summary of your qualifications. This is a good way to grab attention by letting employers get a quick glance at your skillset. Keep it short and straight to the point.
4. Do include all dates. Employers want to know how long you worked in your previous roles. Furthermore, list your experiences in reverse chronological order.
5. Don’t leave off partial education. Even if you didn’t end up finishing your degree, indicate the classes or the number of credits you did complete. Be sure to list all of your trade certifications and perhaps even professional workshops you may have attended
It’s important for job candidates to follow a plan and read up about the local market and available opportunities. The following tips can help you stay competitive as you search for jobs in Orchard Park:
1. Seek referrals. Networking can be a huge advantage in today’s job market. In fact, it’s absolutely necessary for getting into some companies and positions. Try to attend as many career events as you can, and maintain an updated online profile.
2. Take the lead. Your success depends on your ability to be proactive and persistent. Even if you’ve applied to two-dozen jobs in Orchard Park, you still need stay in touch and politely follow up on your leads.
3. Be resilient. Don’t waste your time sulking after a rejection. Getting turned down is just part of the process. Use your time to reassess, get up and try again.
4. Conduct purposeful research. Look into companies with locations in your area, and find out which ones are hiring in your specific field. Don’t submit your application without understanding what they do, how they do it and how you can contribute.
5. Get help if you’re lost. There are plenty of staffing agencies and online career services that are willing to help you break into the market. If you’re a student, be sure to take advantage of the resources available through your school’s career center.