Jobs in Odessa, TX
- 539 Resumes
- 1,550 Jobs Available
- 114,597 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Odessa, TX might be best-known for its Ratliff Stadium where the movie “Friday Night Lights” was filmed. Ratliff Stadium is one of Texas’ largest high school stadiums. The City of Odessa is also the home of University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB), Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Permian Basin Campus, and Odessa College. Average Odessa temperatures range between 88 and 95+ degrees in summer and 57 and 70 degrees in the winter months. Odessa has many libraries, museums and historic buildings, city parks with recreation facilities (tennis/basketball/volleyball courts), hiking and biking trails, fishing ponds, and baseball and soccer fields. The city also offers a full service golf course/tournaments (Ratliff Ranch Golf Links), skate park, and recreation events (community and family events, 5K fun-runs). Odessa is the gateway to State and National Parks as well as hosting music/arts, festivals, dining, and entertainment.You will want to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries when you begin looking for employment in the Odessa, TX area. General full-time and part-time work may be found at the city and county offices, universities and college, local school district, healthcare services/facilities, and retail employers. Wind, oil/natural gas, and nuclear energy, and mining industries are also leading employers in the Odessa area.
The Odessa, TX area is included in the Odessa, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area and Ector and Midland Counties. It has a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 4.5 percent. This is up from 3.2 percent in Sep 2014 but remains below the 5.2 percent national average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics).Odessa employment has been concentrated in construction and extraction, sales and related, and office and administrative support occupations sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Odessa area were: 1.Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers2.Office clerks (general)3.Combined food preparation and serving workers (including fast food)4.Retail salespersons5.Service unit operators, oil, gas, and miningThe top performing industries in the Odessa area (per total employment), include:1.Construction and extraction occupations (10,510)2.Office and administrative support occupations (10,300)3.Sales and related occupations (7,350) 4.Transportation and material moving occupations (7,200)5.Food preparation and serving related occupations (6,790) Odessa employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in transportation and material moving, construction and extraction, and production sectors. Conversely, Odessa employment sectors of architecture and engineering, life, physical, and social science, and community and social service are significantly lower than the national averages. In addition to the City of Odessa, Ector County, and the Ector County Independent School District, the largest employers in the Odessa area include the Midland/Odessa International Airport, Odessa Regional Medical Center and Medical Center Hospital, retailer WalMart, Saulsbury Industries (oil/gas/mining fossil/nuclear power construction), Halliburton (global oil field services), Weatherford (global oil/natural gas service), WalMart (retailer), and Holloman Corp. (oil/gas/energy-related design-build systems).
Submit your resume and cover letter to the employer online. It may also be included as an attachment to the employer’s formal job application and submitted online that way. Your resume determines if you will be invited to interview. It also serves as a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and helps justify the hiring decision. To be effective, resumes must include basic criteria which are focused, in an organized format, and which includes a keyword summary and skills and accomplishments lists. All resumes must contain your
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Qualifications and Keyword Summary, Licenses and Certifications, Affiliations and Memberships, Military Service, Language Proficiencies, and “References Available Upon Request. ”Remember to list all entries chronologically (most recent to least recent). Do not exaggerate or lie about the facts. Always, review your resume for typos and misspelled words. DO NOT INCLUDE personal information such as height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, gender, race, social security number or photos.
Your Odessa, TX job search may be simplified by:
• Keeping your industry-related skills and knowledge about Odessa employers and industries current;
• Participating in skills refresher training programs, reading industry/professional reports and publications, and by browsing online job banks;
• Networking through online professional and community associations, Odessa job-hunt groups and job fairs websites, Linkedin, Facebook, etc. , and by circulating your resume (Twitter);
• Including keyword links to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc.
• Searching companies/currently open positions online;
• Using ALL job-search resources beyond job boards. Recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates;
• Following-up on leads;
• Keeping your network information, resume, and professional reference lists current.