What Do Data Entry Keyers Do?
A data entry keyer is expected to operate a data entry device. This can be a keyboard or photo composing perforator. A data entry keyer may have to verify data and prepare materials for printing.This type of position is expected to decrease by about 25% across the United States. That could translate to fewer job openings each year.
Data Entry Keyers Skills and Abilities
If you wish to become a data entry keyer, you should be able to quickly and accurately compare differences and similarities. You should have knowledge of clerical procedures, customer service, the English language, computers and administrations. You have to be able to monitor your own performance as well as the performance of your peers. You should be able to actively listen and speak effectively. You should have near vision, finger dexterity and the ability to order things according to specific rules.
Data Entry Keyers Duties
As a data entry keyer, you are expected to use your skills and abilities to:
- Enter data in specific fields and possibly onto tapes or disks by reading documents and using keyboards and scanners.
- Compile and sort through data, and then verify that it is accurate prior to entering the data.
- Correct any errors or report them to supervisors as necessary.
- Maintain logs and records of work activity and complete work.
- Load machines with the necessary input and output media whether that be paper, cards, tape, disks or Braille media.
- Use cryptographic procedures and equipment to be able to fix indecipherable and garbled messages.
- Store finished documents in the right locations.
- Choose materials that are needed to complete assignments.
- Verify accuracy of information including financial or transactional data.
These are just a few duties that you may have to do as a data entry keyer.
Data Entry Keyers Tools and Technology
To help you be a more efficient data entry keyer, you should be able to use:
- Photo Composing Perforators
- Fax Machines
- Salesforce Software
- Data Entry Software
- Intelligent Capture
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) SoftwareYou have to have knowledge of
These tools and technologies in order to be a data entry keyer.
Education and Training for Data Entry Keyers
You have to have a high school diploma in order to become a data entry keyer. Some institutions may require that you have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree. Companies give a thorough on the job training to ensure that you have the technical knowledge needed to do the job. If you do take any further education, you should take courses like:
- Data Entry
- Microcomputer Applications
- Graphic and Printing Equipment Operator
These courses, along with on the job training, will help you get a solid foundation.
Data Entry Keyers Salary
The average data entry keyer across the United States makes about $28,900. However, your salary will depend on your education, where you live and what sort of prior experience you have. If you are just starting out, it would not be uncommon for you to be in the lower 10% making about $19,700. If you have been a data entry keyer for a while, you might find yourself in the upper 10% making about $43,000.
Data Entry Keyers Jobs by Geography
Where you live affects a lot about your job. It can affect how much you make and the likelihood of getting a job in your desired field. As a data entry keyer, you are likely to make more money in the District of Columbia, Alaska and Rhode Island because they have the highest average salary for this type of occupation. By population, California, Texas and Florida have the most data entry keyers, which may mean that you will be more likely to find a job in one of these states. However, Indiana, Alaska and Maryland are expected to see the biggest increase in data entry keyer positions. When you set out to become a data entry keyer, you have to keep in mind that where you live and who you work for can affect your career greatly.