What Does Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other Do?
Food preparation and serving related workers have an expansive list of duties and tasks depending on their exact job title. Food prep professionals can include waiters, chefs, bartenders, dishwashers, sommeliers, etc. In these capacities, you’ll see workers working directly with customers or performing important behind the scenes functions in the kitchen. From cooking to serving food, serving related professionals can do it all.
Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other Skills and Abilities
While on the job, services workers have the chance to develop a particular set of skills and abilities. Many workers find their experience prepares them for sales positions as they must regularly interact with patrons and resolve customer issues. Help abilities applicable to this profession include:
- Interpersonal skills: Whether working with the customer or a team of service staff, food prep professionals need strong interpersonal skills to keep customers and coworkers satisfied with their performance.
- Attention to detail: In a hectic environment, food service workers must remember important details regarding food preparation. For instance, waiters must inform clients of allergy information and cooks may need to modify recipes at the customer’s request.
- Multitasking: From cooking to serving, all involved parties are responsible for handling multiple important tasks at once. Waiters, for example, have several customers at once and must manage their experience.
Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other Duties
Depending on your employer, clientele and exact position, duties vary greatly in this industry, but many tasks fall into these categories:
- Taking food orders: Waiters and waitresses will interact directly with patrons and relate important information regarding the menu and specials.
- Preparing food: Cooks and related workers will gather necessary ingredients and perform any pre-cooking tasks like washing or chopping foods.
- Cooking: Cooks and chiefs will be responsible for preparing meals according to the established procedure and modifying the recipe when customer’s request.
- Cleaning: In food service, cleanliness is incredibly important to maintain customer health and meet sanitary regulations. Workers will wash dishes, sweep, cleaning bathrooms, etc.
- Communication: Most foodservice jobs require teamwork in addition to interacting directly with guests. Effective communication is essential for successful completion of both tasks.
Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other Tools and Technology
While in the industry, professionals have the opportunity to work with the full gambit of good related technologies. On the job, you might work with:
- Rotisserie equipment
- Seating charts
- Food and alcohol
- Computer interfaces
This is not a complete list, but these are some of the most common pieces of equipment in the industry.
Education and Training for Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other
In this profession, it is not necessary to have a high school diploma. However, about 40 percent of working professionals do have a high school diploma or equivalent. Around 31 percent have some high school and 17.4 percent have some college. Workers are not required to complete an internship or apprenticeship, but they will have a short on-the-job training period.
Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other Salary
Depending on your exact position and employer, salaries in this field vary greatly. For example, a five-star chef makes more than a fast food cook. That said the national median salary is $20,500 annually. The bottom ten percent average $16,800, while the top ten percent make $34,300 annually.
Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers, All Other Jobs by Geography
California, Illinois and Florida have the greatest population of employed food service workers, but Texas, Georgia and Colorado show the most growth in the job market. If you are considering a new profession, the food service industry has a wealth of opportunity and many different positions.