What Do Architecture Teachers Do?
A postsecondary architecture teacher teaches college courses related to architecture and architectural design. Someone in this type of position may either primarily teach or do a combination of teaching and research.If you’re looking to become an architecture teacher, you will have an easier time finding open positions. There is a good chance that this type of job position will increase by about 14%, which translates to about 270 new job openings.
Architecture Teachers Skills and Abilities
As a teacher, there are some obvious skills and abilities you must have. You have to be able to communicate ideas well both orally and in writing, be able to instruct others, know how to actively listen and have comprehension skills. As an architecture teacher, you have to add to that technical knowledge about architecture and design.
Architecture Teachers Duties
The duties of an architecture teacher will vary from school to school, but there will be a few similarities.
- Evaluate and grade the work of students.
- Prepare and present lectures to both undergraduate and graduate students on topics relating to architecture.
- Conduct research and publish findings.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internships and research work.
- Prepare materials for courses such as syllabi, handouts and homework assignments.
- Advise students on courses to take and other career issues.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees.
- Perform administrative duties.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Collaborate with colleagues.
- Compile, administer and grade examinations.
- Write grant proposals in order to get external research funding.
- Maintain records of students’ attendance and grades.This list of duties is only a sampling of what may be expected from you as an architecture teacher.
Architecture Teachers Tools and Technology
In order to make your job easier, there are a few tools and technologies that you will need to know how to use including, but not limited to:
- Computers and Projectors
- Television Monitors
- Interactive Whiteboard Controllers
- Autodesk 3D Studio Design
- Blackboard Learn
- Microsoft Outlook
- Adobe Systems
- DOC Cop
In order to assist with teaching and lecturing, you need to know how to make and present interactive, visual presentations. Certain computer aided design (CAD) and computer based training software will be used to do research and teach.
Education and Training for Architecture Teachers
To become a postsecondary architecture teacher, you must have a doctoral or professional degree. The reason you need such a high level of education is because you will be helping others obtain degrees, so you have to have the technical knowledge and skills needed to teach. You will need to take a variety of courses including, but not limited to:
- Architectural Engineering
- Architectural and Building Sciences
- City or Urban Community and Regional Planning
- Interior Architecture
- Landscape Architecture
- Interior Design
- Environmental Design and Architecture
- Architectural Sciences and Technologies
These courses will help you obtain the knowledge you need to become an architectural teacher.
Architecture Teachers Salary
Professors tend to make a decent amount of money. The average postsecondary architecture teacher in the United States makes about $73,700. The teachers in the lowest 10% make $38,200 while the teachers on the other end of the spectrum make about $142,100. Of course, what you get paid will depend on where you live.
Architecture Teachers Jobs by Geography
New York, Michigan and Rhode Island are great states to be an architecture teacher because they have the highest median wages for this type of position. Tennessee, Montana and Puerto Rico have the lowest median wages. By population, Texas, Ohio and New York have the most architecture teacher positions, but Georgia, Utah and Colorado are projected to have more openings. When considering where to live for this type of position, there are a few things that you have to keep in mind. You have to think about where has the most demand for architecture teachers, what the salary is and what the cost of living is like in that area.