Jobs in Oak Park, MI
- 755,838 Resumes
- 106,677 Jobs Available
- 29,834 Population
- $59,000 Average Salary
The small city of Oak Park has a population less than 30,000. It gains several benefits, however, from being just 15 miles away from Detroit. Those seeking jobs in Oak Park should research the local job market, what their best prospects are, and average income. To start with this research, take a look at the following short guide.
The market for jobs in Oak Park and the rest of Oakland County is very strong. The average wages are $1,050, which is almost entirely consistent with the national average. Additionally, the unemployment rate is just 4.2 percent, down from 5.6 percent last year. For comparison, the average unemployment rate across the nation is 5.3 percent. The largest industries in the area are business services, utilities, health care services, manufacturing, and government. The financial services field also saw impressive growth recently. The most common jobs are retail salespersons, office clerks, and team assemblers.
It is vital that you take the time to develop your resume if you are looking for jobs in Oak Park. This is one of the most important parts of finding work, and strengthening your resume will lead to better success. Take a look at the following suggestions.
1. Know what employers are looking for. There is a very specific standard for resumes that is expected you follow. If you deviate from this standard, some employers may not even bother reading your resume.
2. Focus on the actions you have taken while working in the past. Employers want to know what you were doing, not just your job description or information about your skills. The experience section is the best place to include this content.
3. Remember that organization is important. It is easy to focus only on the information you include and forget that it must also be organized and easy to read. Avoid clumping information into large blocks or creating gaps in content.
4. Keep an eye on the length of your resume. It is usually expected for a resume to be just one page long. If you go longer than this when your work history does not justify it, it may make it difficult for some to read your entire resume.
5. Always take the time to proofread your resume. There is no excuse for typographical errors making it into the final version.
As with other cities, those seeking jobs in Oak Park should begin their search with the right actions. Be sure to take the following tips and suggestions into consideration when on a job search.
1. Know what to expect for your chosen field. Every industry is different in terms of expectations, qualifications, and hiring practices. By implementing this information in your applications, you will have an advantage.
2. Be persistent. You may not hear back from a company you apply to immediately. Never assume that you did not get the job until you are given a definitive answer. Remember that it is expected for you to follow up with a phone call.
3. Prepare yourself for a long job hunt. It is important that you do not become discouraged, as employers are looking for people with good attitudes. Additionally, you should think about how you are going to provide for yourself while searching for work.
4. Research other options. Do not get sucked into a specific job and forget that you have more opportunities. You should know what other jobs will still be beneficial for your long-term career goals.
5. Remember to build and utilize your network. Knowing someone in your chosen industry makes it significantly easier to break into. If you can get your resume into the hands of a hiring manager, you will have much better success.