Jobs in Oak Forest, IL
- 128,079 Resumes
- 41,877 Jobs Available
- 28,174 Population
- $70,000 Average Salary
Oak Forest, Illinois, sits in Cook County and is a part of the Chicago metropolitan area. Oak Forest is primarily surrounded by Cook County Forest Preserves. It is important that you gather information regarding the economic outlook as you search for jobs in Oak Forest. You can learn about the local job market and average salaries amongst other job search tips.
The unemployment rate in Cook County is slightly higher than the national unemployment rate. They are 5.5 percent and 5.3 percent respectively, which shows that the job market is difficult yet still promising. The top performing industries in the metropolitan area of Chicago are trade, transportation and utilities; professional and business services; education and health services; government; and leisure and hospitality. These industries have grown an average of 1.1 percent in the past year. The largest occupations include retail salesperson, hand laborer, office clerk and cashier. The average weekly wage in the United States is $1,048, while the average weekly wage in Cook County is $1,062.
Another important part of finding jobs in Oak Forest is creating an outstanding resume. Your resume is your calling card and should be a good representation of your past experience. Use these do and don’t tips as you build your professional document:
1. Do try creating your own layout, so you don’t have to use the same Microsoft Word templates as everyone else.
2. Don’t use justified text blocks because they can create odd spaces in your paragraphs and make the entire resume hard to read.
3. Do focus on readability by incorporating headers, bullet points and text that is flushed to the left.
4. Don’t include irrelevant information about your hobbies, physical appearance, religious affiliations or skills you don’t want to use anymore.
5. Do include keywords pertinent to the position in question to give your resume a precise focus.
Looking for jobs in Oak Forest, like anywhere else in the country, requires that you take certain steps. You have to get ready, find job opportunities, send out resumes, go to interviews and keep in communication. Use these tips to help make your job search a little easier:
1. Do some preliminary research. Before you get too far into the process, you should gather some information related to different careers, companies and industries. This will help you figure out where you want to work and what sort of jobs you are looking for.
2. Search for job openings. The only way you are going to be able to find jobs in Oak Forest is if you search for openings. You can look at newspapers, in libraries, on online job positing sites and with your network. The more places you look, the greater your chances are of actually finding something.
3. Once you find opportunities, you have to work on sending out your resumes. To do this, you should try to make an inside contact within the company you are applying at. Have your contact give your resume to the hiring manager, if at all possible. If your resume comes from the inside, it will help it stand apart from your peers.
4. Get ready for interviews. You should start answering practice interview questions early on in your job search. This way you will be ready once the interviews actually start rolling around. While what you say is important, it is also important that you are able to listen well and communicate positive nonverbal messages.
5. Follow up. After you send in a resume or go to an interview, you have to keep in communication with the hiring manager, your inside contacts and your network. Keeping in contact will ensure that you are at the top of the hiring manager’s mind.