Jobs in North Tonawanda, NY
- 163,404 Resumes
- 3,860 Jobs Available
- 30,929 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
With a population of 30,000, North Tonawanda is a city in New York about 15 miles north of Buffalo and 12 miles from Niagara Falls. Those seeking jobs in North Tonawanda should begin their search by gaining an understanding of the local job market and average wages. The following short guide will help you begin your research.
The market for jobs in North Tonawanda is mostly average. The unemployment rate is 5.2 percent, which is almost exactly the same as the national average. The average weekly wages, however, are about $750, which is much lower than the average across the nation, which is closer to $1,000. The largest industries in the area around North Tonawanda are utilities, health care services, government, business services, and hospitality. While not much change is taking place, the business services field is growing slightly and the hospitality field is shrinking. The most common occupations in the area are retail salespersons and cashiers.
The resume is likely to be the most important part of your application process. If you are seeking jobs in North Tonawanda, take the time to ensure that your resume is strong and abides by the following rules.
1. Be specific. It is tempting to write your resume with generalizations in order to cover all your bases. However, this approach is much less effective than identifying exactly what employers are looking for and emphasizing it.
2. Find a way to stand out. There are always going to be numerous competing resumes. In order to be hired, yours need to stick in readers’ minds. Unique content may be the best approach, but you may also find a unique way to organize your resume.
3. Make your experience and accomplishments sections active. These are the most important sections, but employers are looking for information about the things you have done. Be sure to start each bullet point with a strong action verb.
4. Make your resume the appropriate length. Most resumes should completely fill one page, but not extend to a second. Occasionally, if your work history is especially long, it can be fitting to use a second page.
5. Take the time to analyze your resume. Always proofread it, keeping an eye out for typographical errors, large blocks of text, and wasted space. None of these should ever make it into your final version.
There are certain actions which will improve your success when looking for jobs in North Tonawanda. Implement the following tips and suggestions to make your job search as effective as possible.
1. Prepare yourself for a long search. The time it takes to be hired is getting longer and longer, so you should think about how you are going to provide for yourself while searching. Additionally, be sure to maintain a positive attitude if it takes longer than you anticipated.
2. Have a plan. Before you begin sending out applications, research the field you are interested in. Every industry has unique hiring practices, qualifications, and expectations. If you know these aspects in advance, you will have an advantage.
3. Utilize your network. Who you know is more important than ever before. If you are able to connect with the hiring managers of a company, you will have much better success when applying than if you blindly send your information out.
4. Follow up and be persistent. Do not forget to stay in contact. Many people assume that they will hear back and they do not need to take any action until they are contacted. Even if you are being highly considered, failing to follow up may ruin your chances.
5. Know your options. If you cannot find the job you are interested in, you should know what other positions will still be beneficial to hold. Gain experience now that will allow you to acquire the job you really want later.