Jobs in Normal Township, IL
- 2,220 Jobs Available
- 54,608 Population
- $57,000 Average Salary
Normal Township, Illinois, lies in McLean County. It was incorporated on November 3, 1857 and is now part of the greater Bloomington area. As you search for jobs in Normal Township, you have to get a better understanding of the local job market. Gain some preliminary information related to job prospects, the job search, building a resume and salary statistics.
Looking at the unemployment rates, the job market in McLean County is comparable to the average job market of the United States, which is tough but promising. The unemployment rate in the country is 5.3 percent, but in McLean County it is 4.8 percent. The top five performing industries in the area are professional and business services; trade, transportation and utilities; government; financial activities; and leisure and hospitality. Trade, transportation and utilities has grown 4.5 percent in the past year. The largest occupations are customer service representatives, retail salesperson and cashier. As you look for jobs in Normal Township, you should know that the average weekly wage in McLean County is $1,033, which is slightly less than the national average of $1,048.
A well-designed resume can help you succeed in your job search. Use these five tips to create a useful document:
1. Include adequate contact information, such as your name, the city and state you live in, a website, an email and a phone number.
2. Avoid including an objective statement, instead write a professional summary that can help sharpen the focus of your resume.
3. Consider the resume ingredients rule, which states that you should organize your resume in a way that will impact the reader. This is why you want to list your experience in reverse chronological order, so the hiring manager will see a related position first rather than waitress.
4. List your most recent education first, and never include high school unless you are still in high school or have no college experience.
5. Discuss your experience in terms of accomplishments and metrics when possible to avoid a section that sounds like a job description.
Like the rest of the country, finding jobs in Normal Township can be long and difficult. Use these five tips to make your search easier:
1. Figure out what opportunities you want. Consider the skills you have and what you like to do, so you can figure out what type of job opportunities you want to look for during the search.
2. Know where to look. Check online job posting sites, company websites, newspapers, career centers, job fairs, people in your network and libraries to find plenty of job opportunities.
3. Try to make contact first. Once you find a job posting, wait to apply. Instead you should use your network to try to find someone who works at the company that you can contact. Using an “inside man” to get your resume into the right hands can help you avoid being lost in the piles.
4. Use social media. Many companies use social media to connect with their customers, find candidates and vet applicants. If you use your social media to contact potential employers and promote yourself professionally, you can be a step ahead.
5. Understand it may not be a dream. As you search for a job, you have to realize that you may not be able to get your dream job right away. Instead of looking for your dream position, you should look for a position with a company that you can see yourself working for in the years to come.