Jobs in Normal, IL
- 117,390 Resumes
- 2,578 Jobs Available
- 54,594 Population
- $58,000 Average Salary
The 7th most populous community outside of Chicago, Normal, Illinois sits in McLean County. It is a part of the Bloomington-Normal metropolitan area. As you search for jobs in Normal, you need to become familiar with the job market in the area. Find out more about prospective jobs, finding jobs, building a resume and salary data.
The job market in Normal is a little challenging, but very promising. The unemployment rate in McLean County is 4.8 percent, which is slightly lower than the average unemployment rate of the United States which is 5.3 percent. The top five performing industries in the area are professional and business services; trade, transportation and utilities; government; financial activities; and leisure and hospitality. Professional and business services has grown by 2.3 percent over the past year. The largest occupations in the greater Bloomington area are customer service representatives, retail salesperson and cashier. The average weekly wages of the United States and McLean County are very comparable at $1,048 and $1,033 respectively.
The resume is one of the most important tools you can use as you search for jobs in Normal. Consider using these tips to create a document that will standout to potential employers:
1. Create a unique focus by revamping your resume for each position you apply to and including keywords, experiences and skills that are specific to that opportunity.
2. Think about your transferable skills, which are skills that were gained through any type of work, volunteering, classroom experience or through sports.
3. Try to discuss your experience using metrics, accomplishments and strong verbs to create a section that is engaging and interesting.
4. Avoid employment gaps by including education, homemaking or volunteer work instead.
5. Realize that most resume rules can be broken if you have a good reason, but you should always include your name, never lie and avoid typos and misspellings.
Finding jobs in Normal, much like in the rest of the United States, is all about knowing what sort of actions to take. It can be a difficult process, but you can use these tips to make your job search easier:
1. Consider your skills. Chances are you have gained some skills over the years. As you look for new jobs in Normal, you have to think about the skills you have and the skills you want to keep using. This will help you figure out what type of jobs to look for.
2. Look at different companies. It is important that you do research on the various companies you are considering applying to. This research will help you figure out which companies you are interested in working with.
3. Think about different means of communication. It is very popular to do all communication through emails, but sometimes it is helpful to mix it up. You can call, use the postal service, use social media or stop by in person.
4. Practice for your interview. Many jobseekers know that they should practice answering common interview questions, but you can take it one step further by also practicing listening. This will ensure that you give the best answer to all of the questions.
5. Try to keep a positive attitude. Because the search can take so long, it is easy for jobseekers everywhere to lose heart. You can focus on keeping a positive attitude by not badmouthing past employers or coworkers, setting daily or weekly goals and preparing yourself for a long search.