Jobs in Mount Vernon, NY
- 163,867 Resumes
- 49,120 Jobs Available
- 68,458 Population
- $78,000 Average Salary
Mount Vernon is part of Westchester County, New York and is located on the border of the New York City borough of the Bronx. According to the census of 2010, Mount Vernon has a population of 67,292. Three major employers of Mount Vernon include the Mount Vernon city school district, Michael Anthony Jewelers, and the Mount Vernon Hospital. If you are seeking employment in the Mount Vernon area, you can benefit from learning more about the city’s local economy as well as job prospects and average salaries. These statistics and more are listed in the information below.
Mount Vernon has a promising economic forecast, as unemployment rates have been decreasing. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment has decreased from 8.9% in October of 2014 to 6.5% in October of 2015. This is slightly higher than the national unemployment rate is 5.2%. The positions in Mount Vernon that account for the highest number of employees include retail salesperson, office clerks, janitors and cleaners, and cashiers. The top performing industries in the area are mining, logging, construction, manufacturing, and trade. The mining industry alone has increased by 3% from October 2014 to October 2015. The average weekly salary is $1136, which is higher than the national average of $1,048.
If you are looking for jobs in Mount Vernon, remember that your resume needs to be an authentic representation of your professional history. Following the tips below can ensure that your resume makes a solid first impression.
1. Do use bullets for listing items and align the text flush left. These simple formatting guidelines will make your resume organized and readable.
2. Do not use generic words. Using common phrases and adjectives such as “hard working” and “responsible” will not help your writing stand out.
3. Do not exceed two pages in your resume writing. Keep your writing as concise as possible. This guideline does not apply to academics or doctors, who may be using curricula vitae (CVs).
4. Do create a “Summary of Skills” section. This allows your qualifications to be seen at-a-glance and provides an introduction to your work experience section.
5. Do list your work history in the following recommended order: title of position, employer, city and state of employer, and employment dates.
Finding jobs in Mount Vernon requires the right mindset paired with a set of skills to keep you on track. The tips below can guide you in finding the job you’ve been looking for.
1. Join a support group. It’s important to remember that you are not alone in being temporarily unemployed. Joining a group can help extend your network and provide you with support and a positive attitude.
2. Set goals for yourself. The process of finding a new job can be overwhelming, so it helps to break things down into smaller attainable goals. For example, you can start by sending out a certain amount of resumes per week.
3. Keep up with your networking contacts. Don’t hesitate to reach out to any individuals that could offer advice or insight into the job market. You never know where your next lead could come from.
4. Stay persistent. Unfortunately, finding a new job probably won’t happen over night. If you prepare for the long haul ahead, you can keep up your momentum and rest assured that finding your next job is only a matter of time.
5. Take advantage of social media. Using sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn can help connect you to employers and also makes your professional profile accessible.