Jobs in Mount Prospect, IL
- 127,467 Resumes
- 44,968 Jobs Available
- 54,951 Population
- $69,000 Average Salary
Being just 22 miles northwest of Chicago, Mount Prospect enjoys some of the benefits of being near one of the largest cities in the nation. It only has a population of 55,000, but it is still a highly prosperous location. If you are looking for jobs in Mount Prospect, it is important that you have an understanding of the job market, average wages, and different prospects. Use this guide to get started.
With rapidly declining unemployment rates and higher than average wages, jobs in Mount Prospect seem especially appealing. The unemployment rate started higher than the national average, but it has lowered significantly this year to match that of the rest of the nation: 5.3%. Meanwhile, average wages remain above $1,000, sometimes as high as $1,200, while the national average is $1,048. The largest industries are utilities, business services, government, healthcare services and hospitality. Additionally, the size of the mining and logging industries are in great decline. The most common professions are in physical labor and sales.
Finding jobs in Mount Prospect also hinges greatly on your resume. Of course, your resume will be specific to the job you are applying for, but the following are just some simple tips that apply to every resume.
1. Know what the proper formatting is. Many employers that are reading resume will not tolerate poorly formatted documents. Research what is expected so you can ensure that your formatting is perfect.
2. Focus your resume on achievements. It may be tempting to fill your resume with job descriptions and list of previous responsibilities, but it is always better to include actions you have taken and ways you have benefited previous employers.
3. Prioritize your experiences. The experiences section is the most important. It should be the longest and include the most information. Do not make the leading sections too long, or it will take too much time to reach the experiences section.
4. Make your resume the proper length. Your resume should completely fill one page, and likely not extend to a second page. Using two pages is only acceptable when you have an especially long job history that is necessary to cover.
5. Review your resume after finishing. Besides catching typographical errors, it is important that you think about what your resume looks like at a glance. Analyze whether there are large, intimidating blocks of text or blank spaces that should be filled.
Taking the proper action when looking for jobs in Mount Prospect is vital to success. The economy is changing, so be sure to change with it. The following tips should help you get started.
1. Networks are more important than ever before. Knowing the right people can point you toward leads, or even secure a job for you. You can no longer simply put your resume out there and wait for opportunities to come to you.
2. Average job searches are getting longer. Not only should you ensure that you are staying optimistic, make sure that you think about what you will do for money while searching for a job.
3. Know what options you have. The fact of the matter is that you may not be able to find the kind of work you are looking for. In this situation, know what jobs will be relevant to your interests and may benefit you in the future.
4. Do your research. Each type of position has different hiring practices and qualifications. If you have a complete understanding of these aspects, you will have a huge advantage when applying for the jobs.
5. Take advantage of the resources available to you. There are many online databases of information, resume and application assessments, and networking outlets.