Jobs in Mount Pleasant, WI
- 755,838 Resumes
- 1,342 Jobs Available
- 26,293 Population
- $54,000 Average Salary
Mount Pleasant is a village in Racine County, Wisconsin. It’s about 30 miles south of Milwaukee and 60 miles north of Chicago. Mount Pleasant is home to over 26,000 residents as of the 2010 U.S. Census, and it’s one the fastest growing communities in the state. Residents enjoy easy access to jobs in town and the nearby metros, but jobseekers should do their research. Read on for an overview of major industries and potential jobs in Mount Pleasant.
Mount Pleasant stretches from Lake Michigan to Interstate 54 and is home to several national and international corporations, including Putzmeister and SC Johnson. Retail salespersons, general office clerks and team assemblers are the most common jobs in Mount Pleasant and Racine. Residents also enjoy a variety of recreational activities, a progressive municipal government and a surprisingly hometown feel. The current unemployment rate is 5.1 percent, which is below the national rate of 5.3 percent. Mount Pleasant is ideally located, and village officials expect growth to continue through the coming decade. $792 is the average weekly income for the Racine metro area. The average weekly income nationwide is $1,048.
Most jobs in Mount Pleasant will require you to submit a resume. Spend some time on this part, and consider the following tips to ensure you keep it professional and to the point.
1. Make it job-specific. You should have one general resume, but try to tailor it for each position. In other words, consider the most important criteria for each job, and then highlight or top-list your most transferrable and relevant skills.
2. Include months and years. 2011 could mean January or December. That’s a big difference. Be sure to include your exact start and end dates.
3. Be concise. Leave out fluff and words that don’t add any value. This includes personal pronouns like “I” and “y. ” Steer clear of lengthy paragraphs, and try to stay at one or two pages.
4. Use bullets. Screeners like resumes that are easy to read. Bullets help to locate points quickly and are more effective than paragraphs.
5. Ask a friend to edit. Don’t assume you caught everything. Get a second pair of eyes before you apply.
The Great Lakes region offers a lot of opportunity for jobseekers, but you’ve got to be proactive in order to stand out. Here are a few tips to consider as you’re looking for jobs in Mount Pleasant.
1. Network offline too. With recruiting going mobile and the world running online, it’s easy to hide behind your computer during your entire job search. However, a referral is still the most effective way to get hired, so go out and meet people in the community and in your field.
2. Get behind the company’s purpose. Do your homework first before applying to any jobs in Mount Pleasant. You might be well suited for a particularly position, but your work will be unfulfilling if you don’t agree with your company’s mission.
3. Document your progress. Make it a habit to record the details of each application, including submission date and email communications. Be sure to save a copy of the job description and the exact resume you sent it.
4. Use a mobile app. Candidates can find thousands of jobs on Internet job boards, but many companies and recruiters are now going mobile. Be sure to download an app, particularly if you’re searching for tech-related or corporate roles.
5. Seek help. Unfortunately, job searching takes a considerable amount of time, but don’t be afraid to ask for help if you’re having trouble. Consider a professional resume or career service provider, or get in touch with a local staffing agency.