Jobs in Mount Pleasant, NY
- 167,728 Resumes
- 5,521 Jobs Available
- 44,638 Population
- $57,000 Average Salary
Mount Pleasant is a lovely small town in Westchester County, just north of New York City. Perhaps most well-known for one of its villages, Sleepy Hollow, the town is an attractive combination of suburban living and close proximity to a world-class city. Some residents take advantage of excellent transportation facilities to commute to work in New York, but there are also many who are locally employed by companies in the town’s large industrial parks, such as PepsiCo. If you’re looking for work, the information below about jobs in Mount Pleasant will be of interest.
Mount Pleasant is considered an affluent suburb and the job market reflects that. The unemployment rate is only 4.8 percent, compared to 5.3 percent for the nation as a whole. The most rapid job growth over the past year was in mining, logging and construction, followed closely by general services, then leisure and hospitality, education and health services and professional and business services. The greatest number of workers in Westchester County are in retail and clerical work. The average weekly wage is $2,520, more than double the average for the U.S., which is $1,048.
For jobs in Mount Pleasant, just as for jobs everywhere, a terrific resume is an essential part of your job-hunting toolkit. There are two aspects to a good resume: format and content. These five tips will help you whip both into shape.
1. Organization is key to the format. The readers of your resume have to be able to glean the important items quickly and easily, so using brevity (two pages maximum), bullets and sections is essential.
2. Your resume should be an action-oriented document. That is, use words such as “accomplished” and “created” to catch the reader’s attention instead of “was responsible for” and “performed duties,” which don’t convey the positive energy that’s needed.
3. Make sure the section with your experience is in reverse chronological order, so the reader can see your most recent job first. Try to de-emphasize any gaps you may have by including volunteer work or working for yourself.
4. Tailor the content of your resume to the specific job you’re sending it in for. You may be applying for many different jobs in Mount Pleasant and submitting different versions of your resume is likely to elicit more responses.
5. Read it over, then read it over again. Use all of the technology tools available to proofread, such as spelling and grammar checkers.
It’s never really easy to find the job that’s perfect for you, no matter where you live. But going about it in the right way for jobs in Mount Pleasant will increase your chances of success. The key is to be well organized and to follow these tips.
1. Start with a good plan. Include all of the details about your goals and the how-what-where of your search. Having this plan, along with daily to-lists, will help keep you motivated.
2. As soon as your plan is done, create a spreadsheet of your contacts. Many experts today believe that the best jobs come from networking, so this list is going to be very important. You need all of the information on each person in one place, along with an on-going record of each time you make contact.
3. Go online, both to search for jobs and to create an online presence that shows who you are to prospective employers offering jobs in Mount Pleasant. LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and others can all help you present yourself to the outside world in exactly the way you want.
4. Prepare carefully for all of your interviews. You want to arrive with knowledge about each company and you want your people skills to be A-plus. There are plenty of online resources that can help you with this.
5. Stay as positive as you can, even if the search takes longer than you had planned. Your attitude will show through everything you do and others will respond more favorably to you if you are upbeat.