Jobs in Modesto, CA
- 389,645 Resumes
- 5,234 Jobs Available
- 209,286 Population
- $52,000 Average Salary
The city of Modesto, California is set in the Central Valley of California, about a two hour drive south of Sacramento. Modesto is an agricultural community with farming and transportation industries. The city has experienced a higher than normal unemployment rate during 2015 with unemployment in Modesto at 9.6% as opposed to the National average of 5.5%. No matter whether you are trying to find work in Modesto or any other city, having an effective resume can make a big difference in your job search. The following information will give you some ideas that can help you create a resume that can overcome educational deficiencies or lack of work experience and move your resume up to the top of the stack.
The city of Modesto has several areas of employment opportunities, with the top five in the following industries:1. Retail Sales2. Agriculture3. Food Preparation4. Transportation5. MedicalModesto is the home of many food companies like ConAgra Foods, Stanislaus Food Products and the California Tomato Growers Association as well as the home of E&J Gallo Winery. With these and other companies, there is also a large transportation business with the need for truck drivers. Even with a high unemployment rate, Modesto has lots of opportunities for the person that pursues a job in the city.
1. Blanket the Industry:When you decide what position you are looking for, tell everyone you know about your desire for a specific job. You never know who is connected to who. The person you least suspect could be talking to someone who happens to be looking for someone like you. Networking is the key to effective action.
2. Use Job Boards:There are many different venues that you can use to get your resume in front of people, ranging from job boards and social networks to company websites and industry associations.
3. Cold Call:It might be scary, but cold calling can get you somewhere. There have been many people able to get a job because they just happened to call a person that needed them at that time. It might sound strange, but cold calling works. Just be persistent and keep calling.
4. Ask for the Referral:If you call an employer or talk to someone that doesn't have work, that may not mean they don't know someone else that is looking. Come out and ask them if they know anyone else looking to hire. Its worth asking.
5. Fill in the Gaps:If your resume has breaks in between your time on jobs, account for the time, even if you just put in unemployed. If the employer sees you are not trying to hide anything they will be more likely to trust you and it could bring you that desired position.
With a properly prepared resume, you can find the right job to fit your goals and overcome any obstacles you may face. There are certain tips that can help you get your resume moved to the top of the pile so the employer will take notice of you. Here are five tips to include in your resume to get you noticed.