Jobs in Minnetonka, MN
- 50,753 Resumes
- 24,302 Jobs Available
- 51,486 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Minnetonka, Minnesota is a suburban city that is located eight miles to the west of Minneapolis. It is situated within Hennepin County, Minnesota, and has a population of 49,734 as reported in the 2014 census. The name of the city comes from the Dakota Indian word “mni tanka”, which means “great water”. Water makes up 1.29 of the 28.22 total square miles in the city. In addition to becoming familiar with the cultural and geographical aspects of the city, it is also important to spend some time becoming familiar with the job market if you are on the hunt for jobs in Minnetonka. Read more about important job-related information in the Minneapolis area (which is just eight miles west of Minnetonka), such as average weekly salaries, top occupations and more.
Minneapolis, which is just eight miles from Minnetonka, has taken steps to improve the local economy, and the unemployment rate has dropped from 3.7 percent in 2014 to 3.5 percent in 2015. This is lower than the nationwide unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The civilian labor force during the same period for the Minneapolis area has risen 1.0 Percent. The top five largest industries in the Minneapolis area are trade, transportation and utilities, education and health services, and professional and business services. The largest occupations are retail salespersons, followed by personal care aides, customer service representatives and food preparation and serving workers. Average weekly wages in the Minneapolis area are $1,064, which is higher than the U.S. average of $1,048 per week.
Perfecting your resume is the first thing you should do when hunting for jobs in Minnetonka. Regardless of the type of job you are looking for or the experience you have, make sure you take note of these important “do’s” and “don’ts” for building your resume:
1. Don’t ever lie on your resume. Being accepted for a job based on false information is never a good idea, and your lie will most likely be discovered by your employer eventually.
2. Do try to make your resume unique and distinctive.
3. Don’t ever turn in a resume that is longer than two pages. One page in length is ideal.
4. Do create multiple resumes that are tailored to each job.
5. Do list your past experience (jobs) in reverse chronological order.
Anyone who is searching for jobs in Minnetonka will have a higher chance of success if they understand the local job market and take the right approach towards locating and securing job openings. Here are five steps to help you on your job search:
1. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are counselors and local job centers who are specifically there to help people like you find available jobs in Minnetonka. They can also offer advice for updating your resume and planning for your in-person interview.
2. Take job assessments if you don’t know what type of job you want. You can find assessments at your local job center or online. These simple tests will help you identify your professional skills, traits and interests so that you can find the right job.
3. Update your resume and proofread it several times. Target your resume to each specific job for which you apply. It is easy to overlook spelling or grammatical issues, so read your resume out loud. It is a good idea to have someone you trust read through it as well to provide suggestions and feedback.
4. Network as much as possible. While online job postings and job boards are great resources, the key to finding a great job that matches your interests and skills is good old word-of-mouth. Make it a habit to talk to everyone you know about any available jobs in Minnetonka they know about.
5. Stay positive and focused. It’s easy to become discouraged when you are unable to find a job within the first few days or even weeks of your search, but maintain your positivity and keep searching until you find something that is a good fit for you.