Jobs in Melrose Park, IL
- 75 Resumes
- 64,382 Jobs Available
- 25,511 Population
- $68,000 Average Salary
Located in the suburbs of the metropolis of Chicago, Melrose Park residents benefit from the lifestyle of a smaller community with access to the large economy of a busy city center. According to the 2010 Census, the city had a population of 25,411. Read more to learn about the local economy and opportunities for jobs in Melrose Park.
Melrose Park is in Cook County, Illinois. The county, in conjunction with the greater Chicago area, has a steady economy as reflected by its unemployment numbers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics listed a rate of 5.6 percent in December of 2014 and reported the same rate at the end of 2015. This is just .3 percentage points higher than the national rate of 5.3 percent. The largest areas of employment are trade, transportation, and utilities followed by professional and business services. Office and administrative support positions are the largest occupations, followed by sales and related jobs. Both business and financial operations and management opportunities are significantly higher than the national average for the Chicago area. Weekly wages are quite varied throughout the counties in the region, but the average weekly wage is listed at $1,062, higher than the national average of $1,048.
Your resume needs to be of excellent quality when you are looking for jobs in Melrose Park. Read and follow these do’s and don’ts to take that next step in achieving your career goals.
1. Do think about using a design that is not the standard template. Microsoft Word can be inflexible and is very widely used. Be creative, but ensure that it is very readable and don’t use odd fonts that are distracting to hiring managers.
2. Don’t use personal pronouns (I, me, my) within your resume. This can be seen as unprofessional and is not recommended.
3. Do list your jobs in order of the most impact. Reverse chronological order is best to grab the attention of readers quickly.
4. Don’t use phrases such as “Responsible for” and “Duties included” in your job descriptions. These are weak phrases and don’t showcase your skills as accomplishments. Using action verbs throughout your resume is much more attractive and impactful.
5. Do emphasize transferable skills. This will help you find jobs in Melrose Park with a wide variety of companies.
Finding jobs in Melrose Park takes planning, organization and a honed set of job-seeking skills. Follow these tips to help you rise above the competition and land that next job in your career.
1. Set up weekly goals of job applications and submitted resumes and keep track of them on your computer or in a notebook. This facilitates momentum with your job search and assists with proper follow-up activities.
2. Examine your skill set carefully and consider other industries. You may qualify for jobs in Melrose Park with companies you have previously not considered.
3. Polish your online presence. Make sure your profiles are professional and don’t serve to knock you out of the running for a job. Hiring managers will seek out your online reputation.
4. Network constantly. A successful candidate will be very active in online business sites and social media platforms and attend in person events such as Chamber of Commerce events, job fairs, industry-related events and more.
5. Brush up on your interview skills. Potential employers seek out good communicators and it is important to have the confidence to be able to showcase your talents well in the interview.