Jobs in McAllen, TX
- 211 Resumes
- 2,529 Jobs Available
- 138,596 Population
- $54,000 Average Salary
If you don’t mind the heat, living in McAllen, TX can be quite a treat. From great Mexican food to excellent shopping, this is a bustling city that is growing by the minute. If you are considering moving to McAllen, do not forget to check out the job market. This will include looking at any job prospects and comparing wages. If you need an idea of what to look for, the following information will give you a nice overview.
When you look at the weekly wages, McAllen does fall below the national average of $1048, with an overall mean of $607 per week. Some jobs do go against this trend, such as Nurses, Accountants and Construction Workers, each making above the national average. In terms of employment, the highest percentage of those employed work in either the Office and Administrative Support and Sales. This is followed by Personal Care and Service and Education, with both making up roughly 10 percent of all those employed. The fifth largest is Food Preparation and Service, which employs around 8 percent of the total workforce in McAllen.
The tips mentioned above are important, but so is having a top-notch resume. You can have all the experience and credentials in the world, but if your resume looks bad, you look bad. Take a look at the following tips to get your resume on the right track.
1. Read over your resume out loud for any awkward phrases or sentences. You will be surprised on how hearing the words out loud can help you improve.
2. Instead of simply rehashing the list of job duties, try listing your accomplishments instead. Employers want to see what you have done to stand out, not what they already expect you to do.
3. Make your resume easy to read by using bullet points and numbered lists.
4. Check your grammar and punctuation. Even one mistake might make you look like you don’t care about the work you turn in.
5. If you are using a template from a popular word processing program, try to find one that others might not use. That way your resume isn’t just a copy of five-hundred others.
If you decide you want to move to McAllen or any other city, you will have to come up with a solid strategy for finding a job. This goes beyond simply emailing about potential positions, and really involves making a plan. Use the following tips to help get you started:
1. If you are thinking of making a switch in careers, take an assessment that will help you match your skills and interests to potential jobs.
2. Don’t limit your search to one job bank. There are plenty out there, and some may have jobs that you never thought of applying for.
3. If you are interested in a particular company, go to their website and see if they have any openings. If they do, make sure you fully research the company, that way you can answer any questions they may have during the interview.
4. If the thought of interviewing scares you, practice with a friend. They can help give you feedback on what you need to do to improve.
5. Keep up a positive attitude. Negativity will only keep you from finding a job.