Jobs in Lodi, NJ
- 755,838 Resumes
- 459 Jobs Available
- 24,654 Population
- $78,000 Average Salary
Lodi is one of the many boroughs of Bergen County, New Jersey. The community sits just north of Teterboro Airport and is about 15 miles from central Manhattan. Lodi covers about 2.25 square miles of mostly residential property. It’s a great place for commuters and even has a few opportunities of its own. If you’re looking for jobs in Lodi or the Newark area, here’s the economic outlook.
The 25,000 residents who live in Lodi work throughout the Newark-New York metro, but retail trade is the most common occupation locally. The borough is home to several big box stores, a community college and a handful of professional and business service providers. Healthcare, education and government all employ a large parentage of the local workforce. The unemployment rate in the Newark area is down from 6.1 percent six months ago to 4.2. This beats out the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. Likewise, average income is much higher than the national average of $1,048 per week. The average Bergen county resident earns a weekly wage of $1,226.
Most jobs in Lodi will require a resume. Here are a few guidelines that will help you create a concise and professional written sales pitch. .
1. Keep it consistent. If you bold one job title, you should bold all of them. Likewise, use the same fonts and overall theme. It’s best to go with clean type and simple styles.
2. Use accomplished-focused verbiage. Don’t just type out list of job duties. Instead, incorporate some action verbs to describe how you accomplished your assignments and exceeded expectations or goals.
3. Find a template. You don’t have to use one, but you’ll save time if you do. Find a format that’s designed for your field, and then customize it as you add new information.
4. Start with your most recent job. Employers tend to focus on recent experiences. Unless you really need to highlight a particular job, it’s best to keep things in reverse chronological order.
5. Customize. You should tailor your resume the same way you tailor your cover letter. Order your accomplishments and work duties in a way that highlights your most relevant skills. You can also incorporate a qualifications summary to get your point across up front.
To be successful in the job market, you need patience, determination and a solid plan. Here are some guidelines you can follow to become a little more competitive for jobs in Lodi.
1. Be proactive. If you don’t jump at an opportunity, someone will, especially in a major metro. Research the companies that interest you and stay active with job boards, networking sites and industry news.
2. Network in person. The Internet is not a substitute for face-to-face interaction. Attend career fairs and networking events. Try to get in touch with an internal recruiter. If you impress someone from the inside, you’ll have a better chance at getting your foot in the door.
3. Take a screen shot. Have you ever been called in for an interview only to realize you didn’t save a copy of the job description? Avoid the embarrassment by saving the job descriptions for any jobs in Lodi that you apply for.
4. Rehearse for an interview. Instead of waiting by the phone, use your time to brush up on your interview skills. Get a friend to ask you some questions on the spot, and look to the job description for the most important criteria.
5. Know your salary requirements. Have a minimum and stick to it. While negation is common and often expected, you shouldn’t be wasting time applying for positions in pay grades you’re not willing to accept.