Jobs in Livingston Township, NJ
- 203,379 Jobs Available
- 29,931 Population
- $79,000 Average Salary
Livingston Township, New Jersey, sits in Essex County. It is a suburban town that is about an hour away from New York City. This information can be interesting, but as you search for jobs in Livingston Township, you need to learn about the economic outlook of the area. This means gathering information related to the job market and average salaries.
The job market in Essex County is difficult, as can be deduced from the high unemployment rate of 7.4 percent. The average unemployment rate in the entire United States is 5.3 percent. The best performing industry sectors in the great New York City area include education and health services; trade, transportation and utilities; professional and business services; government; and leisure and hospitality. Of these industries, education and health services has grown the most in the past year at 3.4 percent. The largest occupations are retail salesperson, office clerk and janitor. The average weekly wage in Essex County is $1,601, which is significantly higher than the national average weekly wage of $1,048.
There are a lot of important steps you can take as you look for jobs in Livingston Township. One of the most important documents you can use during the job search is your resume. This is your calling card and the object that will remind hiring managers of you after you leave. Use these tips to create an outstanding document:
1. Use accomplishment-oriented language rather than duties-driven language.
2. Remember to include the most important resume information: your name, city and state you live in, phone number, email address, education and experience.
2. Avoid including a physical description of yourself, political views, religious affiliations, hobbies and high school education information.
3. Don’t forget about the supplementary information, like languages you speak, professional affiliations, skills, a summary, certifications and other transferable skills.
4. Make sure your resume has a straightforward focus by including a summary that highlights the experience, skills and personality traits that you have that make you a good fit for the position in question.
5. Keep everything in your resume positive and truthful.
Finding jobs in Livingston Township may be challenging, but it really doesn’t require anything different than finding jobs anywhere else in the country. That’s why these job search tips can help make the entire process easier:
1. Max out your social media potential. Put keywords related to your target position on your Twitter and Facebook profiles. Share news, articles and developments related to your industry. Using your personal sites in a professional way is a great way to help yourself standout from your peers.
2. Get creative. While you should still read the newspaper to find job postings, you also have to be willing to look on social media, at job fairs, at career centers, on online job posting sites, on company websites and at libraries. The more places you like, no matter how unlikely a spot it may seem, the more chances you have of finding a great opportunity.
3. Be prepared with a follow up. After an interview, you should always send a thank you note to the hiring manager. You can even follow up a few days after you initially send your resume in. Just a quick check up to make sure the hiring manager got everything. Be persistent in your communication without being a pest.
4. Take responsibility. While you can talk to people in your network and look on online forums, you have to understand that the responsibility of finding jobs in Livingston Township lies solely with yourself. You have to be willing to work hard in order to succeed.
5. Try to stay positive. With the challenging job market, it is likely that your job search will take a while. You have to try to stay positive and determined throughout the whole thing. Try making daily or weekly goals that you can accomplish to help make you feel more proficient and positive. Getting in the right mindset can make a huge difference.