Jobs in Lindenhurst, NY
- 755,838 Resumes
- 2,086 Jobs Available
- 27,321 Population
- $59,000 Average Salary
Located within Long Island in the town of Babylon, Lindenhurst is a village in the bustling New York City metropolitan area. According to the numbers reported by the 2010 Census, the village has a population of 27,253. Learn more about the state of the area’s economy and opportunities for jobs in Lindenhurst.
Lindenhurst is in Suffolk County, which continues to show gains in job opportunities through its decreasing unemployment rate. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a decrease from the end of 2014 to the end of 2015 of .5 percent, sliding from 4.6 percent to 4.1 percent. This is significantly lower than the national average of 5.3 percent. The largest areas of employment are in trade, transportation and utilities, followed by education and health services. Office and administrative support positions are the largest occupations, garnering 19.5 percent of total employment, much higher than the national average of 16 percent of jobs. The next largest occupational field is sales and related positions. Weekly wages in Suffolk County are listed as exactly the same as the national average at $1,048.
The importance of having an excellent resume cannot be understated. To help you find jobs in Lindenhurst, follow these tips to make your resume the best that it can be.
1. Format the information to convey the most impact. Typically, experience will be listed prior to education unless you are a recent graduate.
2. Quantify your accomplishments in your job descriptions. Using phrases like “managed a team of 10” or “increased division sales by 25 percent in 2 consecutive quarters” is very impressive to hiring managers.
3. It is not recommended to put an objective statement on your resume. These are no longer in favor and are many times not even read by hiring managers. Substitute for entries like branding statements that quickly showcase your skill sets and best qualities.
4. If it works for your situation, use consulting, freelancing gigs or volunteer work to fill in gaps in your resume that could be considered “red flags. ”
5. Ensure you have no errors on your resume. Get a second opinion if you are unsure. Potential employers frown on mistakes in resumes and it can make you appear unprofessional.
Finding jobs in Lindenhurst takes a combination of planning, organization and a positive attitude. Read more to learn techniques that will make your job search more efficient and productive.
1. Attend business support groups, job clubs and meet-ups to get the latest local information in your industry for job opportunities. These can not only open doors, but can also provide support and motivation in your job search.
2. Set up informational interviews. It is helpful to set up meetings with people who are currently working in similar positions and for employers you are interested in to give you real life experiences.
3. Make a list of all your contacts from friends, family, previous co-workers and even professors. They can help answer questions about your job search and may be aware of potential opportunities in your field of specialization.
4. Practice your “elevator speech. ” This approximately two minute presentation that describes your skills and career goals is an important tool to have at the ready. You never know who you are going to meet.
5. Be aware of the current salary ranges for positions in your field. You don’t want to undersell yourself, but you also don’t want to negotiate yourself out of a great job.